Kitten Umbilical Cord

Sisalee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby kitten is now 13 days old! I've had her since day 1 and have done so much research to keep her alive and thriving. I lover her so much she's my sweet baby. She’s hitting all her milestones and is just so perfect.

There is just one thing I was hoping anyone would know the answer to. Her umbilical cord is dried up but still attached. Everything I have read says it should fall off after a few days and here we are 13 days later and it’s still there. It doesn’t look infected or swollen.

Does anyone know if its ok that’s its still attached and if I should just keep waiting or make a vet appointment?

I attached a picture of my angel :)

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You do have access to a vet? Mail this photo and ask?

Normally, its OK to cut off the dry umbilical cord. But IF there is something inside, ie its a hernia with intestines inside, or something, you wont cut it off... This here seems empty, but Im not a vet and I dont want to decide. As you say, it hasnt fallen off itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sisalee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You do have access to a vet? Mail this photo and ask?

Normally, its OK to cut off the dry umbilical cord. But IF there is something inside, ie its a hernia with intestines inside, or something, you wont cut it off... This here seems empty, but Im not a vet and I dont want to decide. As you say, it hasnt fallen off itself.
I do have the ability to take her to the vet if has to. Was trying to save myself the trip if anyone who's raised kitties could say it was OK to wait. I'll give the vet a call.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, consult a vet. It needs looking at before you do anything. Cords do not usually take this long to dry up and fall off.