kitten took a bite of chicken baked in garlic

Rayzieka

Ziggy & Zim
Kitten
Purraise
I just picked up a two month old kitten yesterday and since none of my other cats have gone after my food before I spaced the plate of chicken and walked away for a moment. I walked back and she was nibbling on it and now im freaking out.. at the longest she was alone for 3 minutes while i cleaned the dishes i used to make it... Is this enough to harm her? I baked the chicken in a mixture with garlic added.
I gave her some water with wet food mixed in to encourage her to drink and she drank quite a bit in hopes to just flush it out but I just dont know.
I feel so stupid right now and will be covering all my food with plastic wrap from now on before i walk away...

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dunno how much garlic it takes to get a kitten sick or how long it takes. But my guess is, your kitty is probably going to be fine. However, it wouldn't hurt to get your kitten checked by a vet, or at least call the vet for an over the phone consult.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is in the link provided above:

You can also call your veterinarian, the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661, or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for more help determining if your pet needs to go to the emergency room.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rayzieka Rayzieka Don't beat yourself up too badly. Mistakes happen and you've learned from it and seeking help for her. That's what matters. None of us are perfect. I can't count the number of times I've found a hairband on the floor no matter how careful I am and how much I swear they've been put away properly. I have a heart attack each time I see one. :heartshape:

As for knowing if it's enough to harm her. I honestly have no clue but I'm going to second heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614 I think your safest best is to call. I believe they can provide some quick, honest, experienced advice and if they don't think it's an emergency they'll be able to provide you with things to watch over the next few days.

Editto add: safest bet other than a doctors/ ER doctors visit, just to clarify.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayzieka

Ziggy & Zim
Kitten
Purraise
Rayzieka Rayzieka How are things going?
Sorry I didnt come back and update right away lol
Shes ok- In my panic the amount of time she was alone with the chicken was extended in my mind. She likely had just put her face to it as i turned around and grabbed her away from it. She's had no issues and has been bouncing off the walls 24/7 like a healthy kitten XD
Was such a horrible feeling thinking she consumed a bunch of garlic and I know now she WILL try to eat my food!
( I've tried on multiple occasions to give my other cats pieces of chicken i cooked seasonless jut for them to make them feel included and they shake their paw and look at me like I've offered them trash- so I never imagined she would want something that smells like garlic and herbs )

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL all is well that ends well. It's all good and I'm really glad things are okay.

This was just her way of telling you she is a unique, one-of-a-kind troublemaker! :D I wouldn't think garlic would be any way appealing to a kitty - but hey - goes to show. LOL

I bet that was very frightening though.

None of mine ever wanted human food either... until one day .... WL found a small bowl of plain potato chips fascinating and started licking them... now I know she can't be trusted with those as I'm pretty sure they are worse for her then me LOL .

They do keep us on our toes!

So very,very glad to get happy news.

You handled that crisis like a pro! Well done parent!

Last edited: