Kitten toilet habits

Alimb1991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

So new kitten is settled in well, eating and drinking. During the day she uses her litter tray just fine going for both, occasionally we have to drop her in if she's been in a big sleep and gets up and goes to a corner but generally very good, however at nighttime she comes upstairs in the bedroom every night a couple of times early hours and goes on the carpet, scratching and waking us up. She sleeps downstairs on her bed with her litter tray in the same room.

We have upgraded her little tray to a bigger one and tried new litter but still keeps happening. I feel like I have a newborn with disturbed sleep every night. She is 14 weeks.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I would get her a second litter box and put it in your bedroom near where she is having the accidents. And clean wherever she has gone on the carpet with a good enzyme cleaner for cat pee. Maybe even put some of her pee clumps from the other box into the new one for a few days, so she recognizes the smell and knows it’s the place to go.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Cats, especially kittens, should have at least one litter box on each level of a home anyway. If you don't want a second box to be located permanently in your bedroom, you might consider getting a 3rd box to place nearby your bedroom so that if she sees it and uses it, you can eventually get rid of the one in your bedroom.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Adopting a kitten often does result in sleep deprivation. You aren't alone in that, but it can take even up to 2 years for her to begin letting you sleep fully through the night.

Sometimes a young kitten even needs a box per room of the home. You can make disposable ones by using cardboard and a garbage bag.