Kitten Suckling The Duvet

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the best kitten introduction ever I think! 9 month old Poppy and 3 month old Milo settled in brilliantly together when I introduced Milo 3 weeks ago.

Poppy has always slept on my bed. She knows when the light goes off, she has something to eat then comes to bed and sleeps. She's up early but hey, can't win everything.

Milo has also gotten into the same habit. HOWEVER for the last 11-12 days he has been coming up the bed to suckle the duvet, usually around my neck. This is accompanied by very loud purring. It goes on for what seems like hours. This morning it started at 3am and I basically didn't sleep after. As soon as he settled, Poppy woke up and wanted attention.

My question is: how can I break the suckling thing? I think he was weaned too early. I've tried putting him back down the bottom of the bed where he sleeps but he just comes back up again. I don't want to put him outside the bedroom as to me that's cruel, as Poppy and I are in the bedroom and he doesn't know any different.

Thank you

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give your kitten a stuffed toy or a washcloth to suckle on. Do a good play session about an hour before bedtime to tire out the kitten so he'll hopefully sleep all night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He plays pretty hard and goes to sleep straight away, it's the later part of the night after about 5-6 hours sleep he's doing it. He seems to want to do it near my face too so I may have to put a small toy around my neck and then just move it.