Kitten Suckling On Litter Mates Issues

daphnemoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there.
I’ve been raising 4 orphan kittens since they were a week old. They are 5 weeks old today and have been getting on quite well. The only problem is our biggest kitten has been suckling on one of the male kitten’s genitals even when they’ve just been fed.
It seems to be a comfort thing as he does it even when he is not hungry or has just been fed. I’ve tried all manner of things to distract him and been feeding him more often and especially now that I’m trying to wean him, it’s getting even worse.
This has resulted in his white face becoming permanently stained yellow, even though I bathe him gently with warm water and a tiny amount of kitten shampoo most days.
The most concerning thing however, is that the male cat he has been suckling in, now has a swollen and inflamed penis. He has no trouble walking, urinating and his activity levels are fine, but it just looks sore.
It’s very upsetting and I’m not sure what to do besides separating the suckler from the rest of the litter (which I am quite reluctant to do as I don’t want to distress him). I’d be so grateful for any help anyone could offer on the matter.

Thanks!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to separate them. You can cause permanent damage to the kitten’s penis if you allow this to continue. Don’t delay! It’s serious.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Separation is the only viable option. Only allow him with his siblings for supervised play time. It will take a few weeks before he can be with them again. But you really are risking the life of the other kitten to leave them together. I've been there too, you are not alone, but there really is not another way.