Kitten Struggling To Gain Weight

meadowlark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a THREE MONTH OLD kitten who weighs between 1 lb 3 oz and 1 lb 4oz. She's my foster and all her siblings plus mom got adopted this past week. She eats Royal Canin dry kitten food and Hills gastrointestinal biome b/c they all had diarrhea at one point. She's had serum injection, albon, ponazuril, panacur, pyrantel, sub q fluids, sonogram (nada), B12 shots, you name it, this kitten has had it. I'm wondering if there's a wet kitten food that would help her gain instead of sitting at this plateau. She's super tiny and vacillates between high energy normal kitten and lethargic...any ideas at all would be most appreciated. I'm brand new on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a THREE MONTH OLD kitten who weighs between 1 lb 3 oz and 1 lb 4oz. She's my foster and all her siblings plus mom got adopted this past week. She eats Royal Canin dry kitten food and Hills gastrointestinal biome b/c they all had diarrhea at one point. She's had serum injection, albon, ponazuril, panacur, pyrantel, sub q fluids, sonogram (nada), B12 shots, you name it, this kitten has had it. I'm wondering if there's a wet kitten food that would help her gain instead of sitting at this plateau. She's super tiny and vacillates between high energy normal kitten and lethargic...any ideas at all would be most appreciated. I'm brand new on this site
Yes, some good kitten wet food is an idea. I dont know well the american brands, but I agree the idea is sound.

Otherwise, I reuse the advices mentioned:

If you can get raw goats milk, try with this. If you dont have, use say Meyenbergs powdered goats milk as her drinking water.
Some pedialyte to enrich her calorie-intake. Avoid town water, as it contains chemicals. Try to find filtered water, or water from a good well, or some good bottled water. With a healthy kitten it probably doesnt matter, but yours has problems.
These mentioned vitamines addition could be useful...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meadowlark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, some good kitten wet food is an idea. I dont know well the american brands, but I agree the idea is sound.

Otherwise, I reuse the advices mentioned:

If you can get raw goats milk, try with this. If you dont have, use say Meyenbergs powdered goats milk as her drinking water.
Some pedialyte to enrich her calorie-intake. Avoid town water, as it contains chemicals. Try to find filtered water, or water from a good well, or some good bottled water. With a healthy kitten it probably doesnt matter, but yours has problems.
These mentioned vitamines addition could be useful...
Thank you so much for your speedy reply! Will try the suggestions. Any thoughts as to why a kitten this old would still be having issues gaining weight?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fancy Feast makes makes wet kitten food in a chicken and fish flavor. The adult classic pates are also very good and and are protein first. She may like this better than Hills.

Feed her wet food every 3-4 hours to see if she finds something she likes and begins to put on weight. Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food is also pure protein and cats usually love lapping it up!

She may be lonely with her siblings gone, and she may turn out be a smaller cat overall, or just simply lagging behind. Time will tell. :)

DebRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having similar problems with my kitten who is ten weeks old and is still under one pound. The rest of her siblings are about to be adopted. Good luck with your kitten!