Kitten Stepping In Poop

atp0726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 male kittens around 5mths old. I still keep them in their "safe room" at night and when I come in to feed them and check their litter box one of the kittens almost always has stepped in poop in the box and tracked it around the room. The other kitten doesn't seem to have this issue and he is white so it would be obvious (the other is all black).

Their current litter set up is a Breeze litter box with feline pine pellets. I have 2 of these boxes (1 in the hallway upstairs for during the day when I let them out of the room) and really like the pine pellets because there is little to no tracking or dust.

As we start to give them the run of the whole house I am hoping to try and figure this out. Is it the pellets that may be the issue or is it the kitten? It sounds like from other posts he may outgrow this behavior. He seems more fastidious than the other and exerts more effort it seems covering his waste and even tries to cover his food dry and wet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll most likely outgrow it. You might move the second box into the room at night and see if that helps. It sounds like one isn't covering their poo, for the one to step in, maybe try one box with a different litter and see if they will cover better. I'd rather vacuum up a little litter than wipe up poop!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

atp0726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He'll most likely outgrow it. You might move the second box into the room at night and see if that helps. It sounds like one isn't covering their poo, for the one to step in, maybe try one box with a different litter and see if they will cover better. I'd rather vacuum up a little litter than wipe up poop!
I agree on the wiping up poop than vacuuming but dont want to give up on the pellets just yet. I will try adding the second box in tonight. I feel like if I put in some litter that will be the end of using the wood pellets.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats had this problem when young, i think most do, and they grow out of it. However mine did hate the pellets..lol..cats. i ended up using pioneer pet smart cat litter, made out of grass, no dust or smell, and everyone covers with this litter, but it does track a little. cats love it so do i. now our local Kroger grocery store is caring their own brand that is basically the same thing, if you have a Kroger store nearby?

atp0726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cats had this problem when young, i think most do, and they grow out of it. However mine did hate the pellets..lol..cats. i ended up using pioneer pet smart cat litter, made out of grass, no dust or smell, and everyone covers with this litter, but it does track a little. cats love it so do i. now our local Kroger grocery store is caring their own brand that is basically the same thing, if you have a Kroger store nearby?
Thats the thing they dont have any issue using the pellets. Since they are kittens I will have multiple litter boxes spread through the house with some being on carpet, so want to minimize tracking. I have their mother in my basement waiting to be adopted and she hated the pellets and I had to get her regular litter. I moved the second box into their room so we will see if the little poop factory has clean feet in the morning.

I have heard good things about the grass seed litter and may give it a try. My plan is to move boxes to the basement eventually once they are older and the litter tracking wont matter as much. No Kroger, never heard of it but i think multiple companies carry it.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats the thing they dont have any issue using the pellets. Since they are kittens I will have multiple litter boxes spread through the house with some being on carpet, so want to minimize tracking. I have their mother in my basement waiting to be adopted and she hated the pellets and I had to get her regular litter. I moved the second box into their room so we will see if the little poop factory has clean feet in the morning.

I have heard good things about the grass seed litter and may give it a try. My plan is to move boxes to the basement eventually once they are older and the litter tracking wont matter as much. No Kroger, never heard of it but i think multiple companies carry it.
i liked the pellets, my cats just didn't, cats are funny. lol. the grass litter is great, but does track a bit, my only issue with it, no worse than clay. kroger is a local grocery chain in our area. good luck, hope the multiple boxes work for you!

atp0726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, this morning actually caught the kitty in the act. When he goes it lands right by his back feet, he then tries to start burying with his front and proceeds to step right smack dab in the middle of the pile with one of his back feet. Then realizing what he has done kicks his foot to release what is now stuck to it. The other male doesn't really even seem to bury his so doesn't have this problem.

He almost looked scrunched in the box, which I dont understand since he's not adult size yet and the Tidy Cat Breeze boxes are designed with adult cats in mind. Wondering if a larger box would be better, but then it wouldn't be compatible with the pellet sifting system I am currently using.

Ugh...almost feel like I need to keep him in a bathroom at least at night until this stops.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, this morning actually caught the kitty in the act. When he goes it lands right by his back feet, he then tries to start burying with his front and proceeds to step right smack dab in the middle of the pile with one of his back feet. Then realizing what he has done kicks his foot to release what is now stuck to it. The other male doesn't really even seem to bury his so doesn't have this problem.

He almost looked scrunched in the box, which I dont understand since he's not adult size yet and the Tidy Cat Breeze boxes are designed with adult cats in mind. Wondering if a larger box would be better, but then it wouldn't be compatible with the pellet sifting system I am currently using.

Ugh...almost feel like I need to keep him in a bathroom at least at night until this stops.
i know until i got the longest litter boxes i could find my cats had problems, more with peeing over the edge. i think the bigger the better..lol. i think the recommendation i see most is at least one and a half times as long as your cat? I have never used the breeze box so someone else who has may know more. And it could just be a kitten problem.