Kitten spayed 2 days ago - Help please?

HarryH22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, so I had my girl savannah kitten (Tivali) Spayed on the 4th feb. She was dropped off at 8:40 and was collected by 4pm - when she got home she was going mental like she had not even been drugged in the evening she managed to get her onesie off and all sorts, took her to the vet yesterday, hee incision looks fine I've been checking it 3x a day but here's my problem. Friday she was nuts but Saturday and today (Sunday) all she has done is sleep, she is eating and drinking as normal and has also been using her litter tray. Should I be concerned I've read that although she might be fine she shouldn't be sleeping as much as she does 3 days later. She has a wet nose and seems happy enough and not in any pain. But it's weird how she was wired friday but yesterday and today she's slept for a good 90% of the day

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not unusual. what happens is they are still having some pain medication in their systems that doesn't wear off for a while. Now she is experiencing a little discomfort and the residual of the anesthesia so is taking it easy and sleeping more. Her incision looks good! Cats are very tough, my ferals get spayed and released the next day with no pain meds after and they act fine. exactly the same as my housecats who receive pain meds. Pain meds can cause problems too. As long as your little one is eating/drinking/ using the litter box, everything is fine. If she starts hiding and refusing to eat, then a vet visit may be in order. Look for signs of infection which include swelling, extreme spreading redness, and drainage that turns yellow/white/green and gets thick. a little clear drainage with a little blood mixed in is normal. The wound often looks worse before it gets better. if she gets a lump under or around the incision, that is normal too, she has internal dissolving stitches and swelling inside too. It looks good so far! Thank you for spaying her, I know how traumatic this is for the human! But you are saving her from all those heat cycles and she will be much happier in the long run. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HarryH22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's not unusual. what happens is they are still having some pain medication in their systems that doesn't wear off for a while. Now she is experiencing a little discomfort and the residual of the anesthesia so is taking it easy and sleeping more. Her incision looks good! Cats are very tough, my ferals get spayed and released the next day with no pain meds after and they act fine. exactly the same as my housecats who receive pain meds. Pain meds can cause problems too. As long as your little one is eating/drinking/ using the litter box, everything is fine. If she starts hiding and refusing to eat, then a vet visit may be in order. Look for signs of infection which include swelling, extreme spreading redness, and drainage that turns yellow/white/green and gets thick. a little clear drainage with a little blood mixed in is normal. The wound often looks worse before it gets better. if she gets a lump under or around the incision, that is normal too, she has internal dissolving stitches and swelling inside too. It looks good so far! Thank you for spaying her, I know how traumatic this is for the human! But you are saving her from all those heat cycles and she will be much happier in the long run. All the luck!
Thank you so much for the insight because my vets closed I can't just call up and ask. I thought the exact same the fact she's eating and just sleeping in her carrier seems fine to me I was just concerned because she was fine the first day energy wise then yesterday and today sleepy but I suppose it's hit her all at once, she still comes for a cuddle now and again but then returns to her carrier (which I leave open so she has the option to go and lie down in) which she has. I'm just new to having a kitten and I love her dearly so was just making sure I'm not missing anything for her sake and health. Thanks for the incision comment too. I thought it looked really good to the fact the first night she managed to get her onesie off whilst I was asleep shows she didn't go for it which is a relief. It is traumatic I felt so guilty and sad for her because she's usually so lively but for her benefit it is much better.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used a onesie or collar and spayed countless cats, and all have been fine. a little licking at the site is fine. Cats know how far they can go, if it hurts to jump, they will act accordingly. I would bet she is more active in the next couple of days. Hiding, and refusing to eat, means trouble. I have had several little ones that act like nothing ever happened when they came back, but most are subdued for several days after, laying around more and just coming to eat. you can send/E-mail pictures of teh incision to yoru vet if you have any doubts too. That way lessens any stress from bringing the cat in. I don't know of many cats at all that LIKE to go to the vet, I sure haven't had any!

HarryH22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never used a onesie or collar and spayed countless cats, and all have been fine. a little licking at the site is fine. Cats know how far they can go, if it hurts to jump, they will act accordingly. I would bet she is more active in the next couple of days. Hiding, and refusing to eat, means trouble. I have had several little ones that act like nothing ever happened when they came back, but most are subdued for several days after, laying around more and just coming to eat. you can send/E-mail pictures of teh incision to yoru vet if you have any doubts too. That way lessens any stress from bringing the cat in. I don't know of many cats at all that LIKE to go to the vet, I sure haven't had any!
Yeah she had to have it on sadly as she kept going for it the first night taking it off but even now she's had her food, and drank water but just won't leave her carrier. Would you class that as "hiding" I'm new to it all and just want to make sure she's in good health. My checkup on email is tomorrow but im assuming it's just because she's feeling sorry for herself. I just keep thinking because she was buzzing on Friday but not yesterday or today is she unwell or?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She did eat and drink, right? Did she use the litter box? She may just be pottying, they sometimes don't have a bowel movement for a few days because they ate less. If she doesn't start coming out tomorrow, make sure you tell the vet. She may just feel more comfortable in the carrier, but she should start moving around a little more tomorrow. As long as she is eating and drinking that is good. It HAS been only 3 days. Try not to worry and just ask your vet tomorrow. Please keep us informed. I hope she comes out of it tomorrow!

HarryH22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She did eat and drink, right? Did she use the litter box? She may just be pottying, they sometimes don't have a bowel movement for a few days because they ate less. If she doesn't start coming out tomorrow, make sure you tell the vet. She may just feel more comfortable in the carrier, but she should start moving around a little more tomorrow. As long as she is eating and drinking that is good. It HAS been only 3 days. Try not to worry and just ask your vet tomorrow. Please keep us informed. I hope she comes out of it tomorrow!
Hello little update. Rang the vet this morning and they finally just called 5:15pm so today she has been out of her carrier a little bit more but sleeping in other spots like on my bed and on me. Still very sleepy, still eating fine bjt they think she may have a temperature. Sadly can't get her there until tomorrow.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may need an antibiotic. Try to get a liquid one and put it in low sodium tuna juice or a lickable treat like Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. Hey if she is sleeping on you, that is good, she may still be a little tired from her trauma and sedation. She'll be fine, hold on, I'll pray for her......

HarryH22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may need an antibiotic. Try to get a liquid one and put it in low sodium tuna juice or a lickable treat like Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. Hey if she is sleeping on you, that is good, she may still be a little tired from her trauma and sedation. She'll be fine, hold on, I'll pray for her......
Yeah she has some lickable chicken treats she LOVES and like usual she has a appetite etc still so it shouldn't be hard to get it down her, it's nice and relieving that just one more night and someone can have a look at her. She is probably fine and like you said tired and probably bored to being locked in a room with just me LOL but I've never had a kitten before and honestly I don't cherish anything more as cheesy as that sounds thank you so much for constantly replying and reassuring - I took this photo of her today
3DE0027D-6628-48A3-90DC-BDFD448E56E3.jpeg