Kitten sneezing with discharge

Jacp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my recently adopted kitten has begun sneezing and sniffling a lot. It’s mostly green snot from her nose and watery eyes. When I’ve wiped her nose a few times it’s sometimes a little red tinged and I’m thinking it’s because she is sneezing forcefully but it is still very concerning to me. She is still eating normally, drinking water, and playful. She has had her shots so I don’t think it is an URI. The vet said it might be a strong laundry detergent or room spray bothering her. Any wisdom and advice is needed as it very concerning to me. Thank you!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello my recently adopted kitten has begun sneezing and sniffling a lot. It’s mostly green snot from her nose and watery eyes. When I’ve wiped her nose a few times it’s sometimes a little red tinged and I’m thinking it’s because she is sneezing forcefully but it is still very concerning to me. She is still eating normally, drinking water, and playful. She has had her shots so I don’t think it is an URI. The vet said it might be a strong laundry detergent or room spray bothering her. Any wisdom and advice is needed as it very concerning to me. Thank you!

What shot protects cats from upper respiratory infections? Only an antibiotic can help clear those.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I thought the FVRCP vaccine

For distemper. I have adopted kittens from a vet and they were given FVRCP vaccination but they still have had upper respiratory infections at times that needed to be cleared up by using an antibiotic. Chances are if she was in a shelter, around other cats, she picked something up.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it’s green discharge, I can bet it’s bacterial infection and most likely requires antibiotics.
FVRCP vaccine helps in herpes&calici viral infections and panleukopenia (although there’s no guarantee that it will prevent these diseases) but not bacterial ones.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah shots dont always prevent it, and to be honest most kitties have feline calicivirus or feline herpes virus and stress can trigger it. So when they move to a new home, that's stressful and can cause a flare up. I would say sneezing with discharge means a trip to the vet.