Kitten smells when petted

iamcritic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! One week ago I adopted a 8 week old kitten from a shelter. I immediately noticed that he stank, but I attributed it to the kitten living together with numerous other kittens in a kennel. Three days later I brought him to the vet, and there I found out he probably has still bowel parasites (despite having been dewormed at the shelter, but the vet told me having to repeat the treatment is frequent), 41°C fever, bronchitis and congiuntivitis. Oh, and fleas. So, the smell was the least of my concerns.
Fast forward a few days, thanks to antibiotics, cortisone and frontline, the kitten is really really better, never stops playing and climbing everything, eats like a lion, and he's very affectionate. But he smells FOUL. I tried to clean his bum (that's where the smell comes) and the situation slighty improved, but when he's happy and purring the air becomes unbearable again.
Is he silently farting? We have to repeat the deworming in a few days, maybe that's the reason? Is it anal glands? I looked and he has no trace of brownish liquid on his anus, he's bright pink with no filth on it.
Can anyone spread some light on this? Does your otherwise normal cat stinks too?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats do fart and a bad worm infestation is likely to cause them to do so more often than usual.

I suggest you keep repeating the deworming treatment as your vet recommended. In my experience it can take up to 30 days to completely get rid of all the worms in their system. Some eggs may survive the first round of treatment, so it's important to give a second dose of the wormer as directed.

If he wasn't on a great diet before and now has access to plenty of good quality food it can take a while for him to get used to that too. Does he have diarrhea or constipation, or is he pooping normally?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he is definitely on a new diet AND recent worming, I would bet he has gas from that. Remember, NO cows milk, most cats get lactose intolerant after they get a little older, gas could be from that too. I truly believe this will all cler up in a few weeks! Bless you, for adopting him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iamcritic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he wasn't on a great diet before and now has access to plenty of good quality food it can take a while for him to get used to that too. Does he have diarrhea or constipation, or is he pooping normally?
He poops regularly once a day, but it's not very firm, not runny but not perfectly formed either. In the first days it was better, I think that the antibiotics are playing a role too. He's very thin (skin and bones, literally!) but he's plumpier now than a week ago, so he's not losing nutrients. Tomorrow I'm bringing him to the vet for a check-up and, if he finds him well, he'll receive his first vaccine.

Do the farts "stick" to the bum though? He stinks for a while even after petting, that's why I was thinking anal glands. I really hope it's worms and upset tummy so it can be resolved in a month or so, otherwise we have to prepare ourselves for the smelly years coming our way :biggrin:

Since he is definitely on a new diet AND recent worming, I would bet he has gas from that. Remember, NO cows milk, most cats get lactose intolerant after they get a little older, gas could be from that too. I truly believe this will all cler up in a few weeks! Bless you, for adopting him!
Thank you, I hope it will resolve in a few weeks' time then.

And I'm happy we have adopted him. Our hearts are still aching from the loss of our beloved cat Anakin in February, and all the love we're still feeling for him had to find another cat to be expressed upon, otherwise it would've been even more painful and pointless.
So, here comes little Cecio :)