Kitten sleeping strangely

CorynM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I have a 6 month old tuxedo and he really freaked me out last night. He was laying next to me and when I looked down, he had his eyes partially open with his third eyelids over them, and his mouth was open as well. I froze for a good few seconds t that he was dead, but as soon as I touched his forehead he jumped right up and was perfectly fine.

Is this common, or at least, something that happens with cats when they’re sleeping? He saw the vet about a week ago and was given a clean bill of health - they even did X-rays and extensive blood work for suspected asthma, but all came back fine.

He’s totally fine today, no change in appetite, personality, or litter box use. I don’t think there’s anything wrong, but it gave me a pretty good scare, so I wanted to ask here to make sure.

(weird sleeping not pictured, just wanted to include a photo of him being cute!)

Attachments

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it can be scary to see something like that. It sounds like he had a pretty good check-up last week though. I've seen mine so relaxed that they almost look dead. :lol: It actually startles them when you wake them up!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
CorynM CorynM 100% normal.

Nobel sleeps with his eyes open all the time 😅

Sometimes when they do this they will also get really twitchy as they enter REM sleep and begin to dream. Magnus's whole body twitches when he does this.

There's even been a few times I touch them and they don't react at first until I give a little skritch.