Kitten Shaking Head And Hoarse Meow

amn15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued my 9 week old kitten from a shelter one week ago and since I got her she developed some weird symptoms. She’s currently on antibiotics for a URI and has three more days left, but two days ago I noticed that she was shaking her head and coughing, so I took her into the vet. He looked at her ears, throat, mouth, and everything and said he couldn’t see anything wrong with her. He said she looked good neurologically and had no fever. She’s been tested for FeLV and that disease that’s similar to parvo in puppies and both are negative. Since that vet appointment two days ago she’s pretty much lost her meow, it kind of sounds like something is in her throat, but since the vet looked and felt it and said nothing was in there, I’m stumped.
She’s eating and drinking normally, and for the most part is super playful, but i can tell something is bothering her. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the coughing like a hairball cough? I guess with a kitten it could be her first hairball and she might not have figured it out yet :wink:. And I suppose that could even cause her to shake her head as well, but am just guessing at that part.

I do know that the loss of her meow can definitely be from the URI, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. The good news is that she eating and drinking and still super playful even though she's got a URI. And even better news is that she doesn't have FeLV or Panleukopenia

Here's another thread about a cat with a URI who lost his voice: My Cat Lost His Voice

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

amn15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It kind of sounds like a hairball cough, but she's only 9 weeks old so I wasn't sure if 9 week old kittens could get hairballs yet! Her ears seem irritated because she doesn't like when people touch them even though she didn't mind the first few days I got her, but I heard that sometimes they can get stuffy with a URI so maybe that's it. Regardless, except for her bouts of coughing everything seems normal so I'm not -too- concerned yet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it's a little unusual for kittens that young to have hairballs, but not completely unheard of. Is it still happening? I would just keep an eye on her and if it continues for too long, both the head shaking and the coughing, then maybe think about calling your Vet again, or get a 2nd opinion from another Vet. Hopefully it'll all resolve itself once the URI is gone and if it IS a hairball, she'll get it out. Is she long haired? If so, get her used to being brushed, because you'll need to do that with some regularity. Either brushed or combed. We find it easier to actually comb our longer haired guy rather than brush him.