Kitten scratched resident cat

Alexis1717

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 3 and a half weeks ago I got a new kitten that was 8 weeks old at the time (zip) , I also have a 4 and a half year old resident cat that I have had for going on 2 years (doobie). I live in a loft still one bedroom apartment so separating them has kinda been hard from the get go. For the first week and some change zip was in the bathroom so they could adjust. I then let him and they got along from there. I work about 7 hours daily so leave them alone and for 2 weeks we’re doing fine.
Last night I come home and doobies eye is swollen shut with whiteish discharge coming out. I took her to the animal hospital and they were very vague and I honestly don’t believe they examined her. They said it was conjunctivitis (that’s all) and gave me antibiotics, eye drops, and an anti inflammatory. I had to ask what caused it and they said they didn’t know and then asked if it was contagious/should I separate my cats so it doesn’t spread, once again said they’re unsure. I think get home and her eye is open so I examine it best I can and see a scratch. They completely failed to mention a scratch which is why I don’t think they examined her. I now have zip in the bathroom to give her a couple days to heal but am scared that after it heals he will do it again or that they’re being aggressive. Any suggestions? This was from the other day they were getting along so well

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It could very well have been an accident when they were playing. I would start by trimming the kitten's claws. After you clip them it's a good idea to use a nail file to smooth off the sharp edges.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love Zip's name! Finn had an eye issue too and the vet said whether it was a scratch from playing or conjuncitivitis, the meds she gave would take care of it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just make sure you continue the meds, you don't want an ulcer to form. It is very rare for cats to scratch each other in the eye, I don't know why, but it rarely happens. They were most likely playing and it just happened. Give Doobie a couple of days to start healing and he will most likely be fine. Get some of those lickable cat treats to give any oral medications. it works much easier. Trimming the claws would be a good idea as stated above, starting at a young age makes it easier if it needs to be done later. Just do one claw an hour if Zip resists, it can sometimes take me days to get both paws done.