Kitten Running Until Passing Out...

Nixalot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have this little 5 month old Siamese kitten who like to play and run.. a lot. So here is the lowdown.

She will chase a toy around, whether it be a wand by us or a ball or mouse by her, until she begins panting really hard. She will then take a break for like 3 minutes and start it up again until, once again, panting really hard. At this point this is kind of normal for a cat that likes to play. The issue arises in that she will continue this until she can only drag herself towards her target and then pass out in exhaustion. She becomes so non-responsive that the first time it happened we took her to the vet fearing she fell into a coma! But no, she woke up in the waiting room looked around for a few seconds and was ready to go again. So far we have taken her to two vets a good amount of times each (thank god for pet insurance), both say that she has no issues; her heart, lungs, digestive track, and brain are in top notch shape and that it is just a behavioral issue.

So my question more comes down to this. Does anyone else have a cat like this and if so how do you get them to stop? We don't mind running until a little sleepy, heck if running out a cat wasn't an option I think our Bengal would have destroyed our home by now, but it is worrying that she will run herself into a catatonic state. We've already tried taking away her toys when she gets tired, but she will just chase invisible things until again she collapses.

Note: This whole process takes about 45 minutes to an hour, so its not like she suffers from tiring too easily she just doesn't know when to stop. If anything her cardio is 5 times better than our Bengal, whom gets tired and wants a nap after just like 15 minutes of running around.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
So, from what I am reading she is running until exhausted and then is more going into a deep sleep rather than passing out. You often have young kittens who sleep so deeply they almost seem unconscious. Since your girl has been vet checked and is fine I would not try to slow her down or stop her running. It is just natural for her and when she tires herself out she sleeps. You might want to pick her up from wherever she dropped to sleep and move her to her bed or a soft spot, and you most certainly want to be sure everything she might knockover during her sprints had been secured but other than that I would just enjoy her wild energy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with susanm9006 susanm9006 on this one. You just have a very energetic kitten with no "off" button. But her health is good, so she isn't in any danger from this. Time and getting older will take care of most of this. Until then, buckle your seat belts and enjoy the ride!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link did that when he was a kitten. He'd be bouncing everywhere and on everything then just pass out for a while before waking up and doing it again. He however liked to crawl up and fall asleep on me so I would be stuck for a good hour or two until he woke up. When he was really young I could move him around and re-position him without him fully waking up (thank goodness because sometimes I couldn't just sit there). As long as she is breathing okay, she does respond a little if you move her around and the vet says she is healthy I wouldn't worry too much. I would expect her to grow out of it at around a year or so old.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we have this little 5 month old Siamese kitten who like to play and run.. a lot. So here is the lowdown.

She will chase a toy around, whether it be a wand by us or a ball or mouse by her, until she begins panting really hard. She will then take a break for like 3 minutes and start it up again until, once again, panting really hard. At this point this is kind of normal for a cat that likes to play. The issue arises in that she will continue this until she can only drag herself towards her target and then pass out in exhaustion. She becomes so non-responsive that the first time it happened we took her to the vet fearing she fell into a coma! But no, she woke up in the waiting room looked around for a few seconds and was ready to go again. So far we have taken her to two vets a good amount of times each (thank god for pet insurance), both say that she has no issues; her heart, lungs, digestive track, and brain are in top notch shape and that it is just a behavioral issue. ...
Did you pay both vets to perform an EKG and echocardiogram to really check out the heart?
Also, was she specifically tested for heartworm or lungworm? The specific test for lungworm, for example, is called the Baermann Test. It's good to rule out things like that if a kitten or cat is having breathing issues, panting, coughing, or the like.

Personally, I'd be concerned if my kitten was panting so hard she passes out.