Kitten Rejection

Dunkle_blume

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat just had her 1st litter yesterday and I was wondering if she is rejecting her kittens will she still lay in the same nest just not face them or is she just taking time fo herself?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she isn't feeding the kittens at all then you need to get kitten replacement milk or goats milk to feed the kittens. It isn't unusual for Mom cats to go off between feedings, in the wild they'd have to go get food sometime. Ignoring crying kittens though is not normal.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Are the kittens crying for milk, but she’s not feeding them? Then you’ll need to hand feed them. Get some KMR or goat’s milk. You can feed them either through a bottle or a needleless syringe. The needleless syringe might be easier at their age because they might be too small to bite down on a bottle. Feed the kittens belly side down, with their head slightly elevated, like the position they would be in while nursing. If the kittens are hard to handle, you can wrap them up in a blanket or towel. You should also weigh them daily, to make sure that they are growing at an adequate rate (about 10g/day). These articles have some more info:

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, my cat just had her 1st litter yesterday and I was wondering if she is rejecting her kittens will she still lay in the same nest just not face them or is she just taking time fo herself?
How is it going, what is the exact situation? Does she takes short pauses stretching her legs -which is fairly normal and its enough you keep some watch and weigh them every day.

Or did she abandon them / neglecting them much? In that case its Red Alert and you must vigorously step in and handraise them, as skissed up before?

If so, dont hesitate to come back asking for more advices. So we will guide you more in detail if need be. There is almost always somebody of us old hands here keeping watchful eye on the forum.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the Mama cat and her kittens in a room where they cannot be bothered by the sounds and movements in the house? There are many causes why a cat rejects one or all of her kitties, including illness in a kitten. If the mama cat permits you to get near, you can also try showing her how to nurse, as she is an inexperienced mom, by putting her on her side and directing the kitties to the nipples.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat Coco had kittens on my porch, she would watch them from the porch next door. She did continue to feed them. I guess she needed a break. Her mom was the opposite. She was always with her kittens.