Kitten Poop Issues

DanFreder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on an issue I've been having with a kitten I got this past Saturday. The kitten is a ragdoll, born 2/11/23. When we picked him up, the people told us he had some constipation issues (was never mentioned before), but it didn't sound like anything serious. When we brought him home that day, he had two very small, soft (like soft serve) poops. The next day, he kept going to the litter box to poop but was unable. He was straining and meowing, and we noticed that his anus was very swollen. I brought him to the vet the following day for his initial checkup and mentioned the issue. The vet manually removed, according to her, a very hard poop that was most likely causing blockage. About 2 hours later, we noticed another poop and brought him back to the vet which they extracted. This one according the vet was of good consistency. Later that day, we noticed about an inch long poop hanging from his butt, and put him in the litter box. He did not try to push it, so instead we had to extract it. Ever since then, when we notice poops, we manually extract them. I'm wondering if we should be doing this or if we should let him try until it looks like he's straining again like he was this past weekend. I don't want him to be in any discomfort, but I also don't want to be doing this if it is unnecessary. I'd also rather not pop poop out of his butt like a pimple multiple times a day.

He is eating very well, he's extremely playful, he is peeing in the litter box and he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. We feed him Purina Fancy Feast Grain Free Pate Wet Kitten Food.

My sister said that one of her cats had what sounds like a similar issue when he was a kitten which he eventually grew out of. My vet is concerned that it could possibly be a hernia, and his anal muscles are too weak for him to push the poo out. Before I consider bringing him to a veterinary surgeon for a consult, I'm hoping someone on here may have a similar experience and be able to shed some more light on what is going on.

Here's a picture of the cute little guy :) His name is Maynard!

1682448983765.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DanFreder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was able to get a picture of what I'm talking about with the poop being in his butt, right at the exit. We're going to try and hold off on extracting and see if he's able to do it himself... right now he's just laying down.

1682458219423.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. For some reason, he is unable to push out the stool. I think you need to pursue whatever the vet meant by 'hernia'. Are they talking about a possible rectal prolapse (although that is not apparent in your last pic), which can have the appearance of being red and swollen? There are cases where a rectal prolapse can correct itself, but I would think monitoring in the interim is the best route.

What did the vet tell you to do when this happens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DanFreder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. For some reason, he is unable to push out the stool. I think you need to pursue whatever the vet meant by 'hernia'. Are they talking about a possible rectal prolapse (although that is not apparent in your last pic), which can have the appearance of being red and swollen? There are cases where a rectal prolapse can correct itself, but I would think monitoring in the interim is the best route.

What did the vet tell you to do when this happens?
Hello! Thank you for your reply. The vet said to just monitor and continue to feed wet food, and assist if needed. She said that a hernia is a possibility, but not necessarily the issue. We have a follow-up next Wednesday, so we'll probably reassess then. She said in order to find out if it is a hernia, we'd have to see a surgeon she will recommend who will check out the kitten. If that is the case, he'll likely need surgery. That will be very expensive, so I'm hoping that whatever it is resolves on its own.

Since I posted the picture, he hasn't tried pushing it out. I'm waiting for him to do that before I assist him again.