kitten pooh issues

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we have a kitten that is a little over three months old. she's had alternating normalish pooh to mushy pooh to liquid pooh in an alternating fashion. we keep thinking she's over it and then there is a pool of pooh again. we took samples to the vet on friday morning but they didn't get back to us before th eweekend. she is eating wet food ok. she doesn't drink alot but she doesn't completely turn her nose up at it. she's full of bean. we bought a kitten scale today. she's gained weight since last week. she was about 3.7 at the vets last week and now she's 4.3 pounds

given it's been a week but not diarrhea every time would you be rushing her to urgent care or just waiting for monday for lab results and recommendations from whatever the pooh shows? we have also had her on fortiflora I think it's called from purina. her brother has had one or two loose poohs but mostly very big normal looking pooh. we just got them last week so they're new to our house and had a long drive getting here last week. they've been tested for fiv and felv and have their first two rounds of shots and get the last round on the 20th.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might need some probiotics to help her gut flora to strengthen or build up a little.
Personally I never had any good results with Fortiflora, though I used dozens of those sachets.
I had much more satisfaction with Saccharomyces Boulardii, which is a yeast. It helped my cats a lot in very few days.

Given that your kitten had more episodes of diarrhea before, and she got out of it, I would wait till tomorrow and ask the vets for any advice from them.

You say that your kittens had been tested for FIV and FeLV, but I think you've been informed that the ELISA test could be not much reliable at this young age.

At three months of age, my cats were 3 lbs or less, and didn't get to 4+ lbs of weight till 5 to 6 months of age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She might need some probiotics to help her gut flora to strengthen or build up a little.
Personally I never had any good results with Fortiflora, though I used dozens of those sachets.
I had much more satisfaction with Saccharomyces Boulardii, which is a yeast. It helped my cats a lot in very few days.

Given that your kitten had more episodes of diarrhea before, and she got out of it, I would wait till tomorrow and ask the vets for any advice from them.

You say that your kittens had been tested for FIV and FeLV, but I think you've been informed that the ELISA test could be not much reliable at this young age.

At three months of age, my cats were 3 lbs or less, and didn't get to 4+ lbs of weight till 5 to 6 months of age.
there is reason to believe they are going to be big cats. we have their intake records and vet records. the cat rescue that took them in said they were about 5 weeks old when they got them. no reason not to believe them. especially since the kittens bear all the hall marks of forest cats who do tend to weigh that much. they're almost four months old now. they would have been born last week of feb. so I guess I stated that incorrectly.

on the fiv felv we had that done ourselves last friday. the point where they can be incorrect so young is false positives not false negatives. the false positives are because of infected momma cat if she was infected. at least that is my understanding of it.

we will try the other kind of probiotic though.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both stunningly beautiful ❤
Yes, it's clear they're going to be big cats.
The cream one seems to have slightly crossed eyes, he is so... Wow!!! ❤❤❤
he does have crossed eyes bless his heart lol. he's a ridiculously sweet cat they both are. the instant you pick them up they go limp and start purring. lol.