Kitten Peeing On Pillows Help!!!

Saphena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP!!! Please help!

Backstory == adopted a kitten from a rescue house of unknown history.. she was estimated to be 8 weeks old, have had her two months now, so again, estimate (three different vets gave three different ages?) that she is around 4 months old now. After her initial settling in stage, a very timid, nervous kitten has warmed up and is starting to be a little feisty thing. She's adorable. Was litter trained from the first day and has had zero issues.

Until about 2 weeks ago... she peed on my bed in the morning when we woke up. She isn't that into sleeping next to me or cuddling up in my arms, but she does like to snuggle up at my feet and will sleep there all night. The first time she peed on me, I thought it was cute she woke up and came up closer to my head to snuggle... but nope, she came up there to PEE.
Unfortunately this has now happened about every other day, usually always in the morning, but last night, she did it when I wasn't even in the bed and just squatted down and peed.

I have read for HOURS on this site, over a dozen or two different posts about similar behaviors and methods. Her vet says she does not have a UTI, I got two opinions and tests done. She seems clear in that regard.

I have tried: countless washing, sometimes twice a day, Nature's Miracle, vinegar, baking soda, keeping her in the bathroom at night... this morning I sat in the bathroom with her (and her untouched litter box!) for over an hour and she would not pee. Finally gave up and let her out and not soon after, there was a pee spot right in the same spot that had been doused with Nature's Miracle the night before.

This is so unlike her. I am at my wit's end. I have read everything here, on many other sites, I have spent hours researching, training, coaxing, loving on her... I just cannot figure out what I need to do.

PLEASE HELP! I know this is such a long post, for my first post, but I cannot figure out what to do.

Attachments

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, she's a cutie but that sounds like a nightmare. I'm just a new cat owner so a lot of other people on this site could probably give you better suggestions than me. I would've thought UTI because I did have a cat that did that when I as a kids... but since you already check with the vet: here is what I would ask you next..

Have you tried putting a litter box in your bedroom?
Also, what about putting multiple litter boxes with different types of litter around the house? Could it be that she doesn't like the current litter?

Or... she could be marking the bed for some reason? You can buy a black light, which will show you the pee and you can also see if she is peeing anywhere else besides only the bed, maybe that could give you some clues as to why she is peeing there? I've heard some cats will pee/mark due to insecurity... I really wish you good luck!

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also, this video by Jackson Galaxy is really interesting. Might be of help:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to try disrupting her habit by not letting her in your bedroom at night or during the day. I would also use a black light to check over other rooms to make sure she isn’t peeing elsewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saphena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried putting a litter box in your bedroom?
Also, what about putting multiple litter boxes with different types of litter around the house? Could it be that she doesn't like the current litter?
Unfortunately my apartment is a tiny studio, all just one room. The bathroom, of course, is separate, but if she is out of the bathroom, it's all just one room after that. I have not put any other litter boxes anywhere else as it is usually fine and she is going to the bathroom to use her litter box all other times of day and night.
She has always been on the same litter since day one, and that has not changed. If it's the location of the box or type of litter, why would it only be an accident once a day outside the box? That's what throws me off...

I have used a blacklight and she is not going outside the box anywhere else in the house. It has only happened on my bed, usually right after the bed is made, once or twice now before I even got out of bed, and right by my face on the pillows.

thanks for trying to help everyone... I feel horrible to have to lock her alone in the bathroom all night and then to consider doing it all day too?? That is just not fair and not something I am comfortable with. We have both sat locked in the bathroom most of today, I just took a book in there and read aloud to her. We play, she's happy, it's just I am paranoid now every time I see her sniffing around or just being curious because I am afraid she's just going to squat down and pee. :( oh... this is so hard. I have had a LOT of cats in my life, and never had one that had any litter box problems at all.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have windows by your bed? If so can block the view of the windows using poster board? Sometimes feral cats or foxes or possums roam by windows freaking your cat out.

Saphena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have windows by your bed? If so can block the view of the windows using poster board? Sometimes feral cats or foxes or possums roam by windows freaking your cat out.
thank you for the suggestion, no windows near our bed... just nestled up in a corner. All of the windows in the house are closed in the morning and most likely have not been opened before the morning pee occurs.

Really do not know what else to try. I stopped letting her sleep in my bed overnight.. it breaks my heart to put her in the bathroom, but when I go in in the morning, she hasn't touched her litter box all night. This morning, thankfully I had nowhere to be, so I just sat in there with her, waiting for her to potty.... over an hour and nothing.. then I give up and we get out and I notice she snuck off and peed on the comforter exactly where she did yesterday.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's such a challenge... It seems like you're doing the best you can. But, she does poop in the litter box right? When you say she's not using it, you're talking about she's not peeing, but is she using it for poo?

... I think everyone here had great suggestions, the last resort might be trying to see if you can find a cat behaviorist in your city/area... not sure how easy it is to find one of those... seems like the vets don't know what to tell you...

another thought, do your neighbors have cats? could be that too....

Saphena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To clarify, she uses her litter box all other times of the day, poo and pee. It's just in the morning, she started using the bed to pee.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There are tall kennels you can purchase which have room for both a bed and a litterbox. Granted it would take up valuable real estate in your apartment but you might want to consider it.