kitten nutrition

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a new 6 weeks old kitten, weaned early. I'm not sure if I'm overfeeding her. she likes to eat on average every 2-3 hours. is this ok?
if no food around and she is hungry she will eat random stuff including scented litter and dry food which is for my 5-6 months old resident cat. I replaced the litter with pine cat litter which is overall ok, because she is not eating it, and removed dry food. She doesn't like to drink KMR formula so I mix the powder with canned fish or blended boiled chicken.
During playtime, she likes to attack cords/wires and scratch fabric and my hands, but with consistently offering toys, I can get her attention away from them. sometimes she licks the scratcher (cardboard, but could be to mark her territory. I'm just concerned she might be overeating..

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, you can not over feed a kitten! Can you find kitten canned food? Feed her that, plus leave out some kitten kibble for her in-between t he wet food servings. She needs to be eating cat food, there are trace minerals and other things that a cat needs that are not available Fromm human food.

Don't let her play with your hat]nds! Hiss at her (as her mom cat would do) and put your hands out of reach. It may be amusing now, but an adult cat playing with your hands can hurt!

Keep us up dated as to her progress! I'm sure other members will provide some more information!b

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, you can not over feed a kitten! Can you find kitten canned food? Feed her that, plus leave out some kitten kibble for her in-between t he wet food servings. She needs to be eating cat food, there are trace minerals and other things that a cat needs that are not available Fromm human food.

Don't let her play with your hat]nds! Hiss at her (as her mom cat would do) and put your hands out of reach. It may be amusing now, but an adult cat playing with your hands can hurt!

Keep us up dated as to her progress! I'm sure other members will provide some more information!b
the canned fish is for cat consumption not human.
I don't play with her with my hands. I'm against that and well aware of the consequences. but, my hands are moving objects and she will jump on them if I don't provide moving toys.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Absolutely continue feeding her every 2-3 hours. Kittens this age are growing quickly and need large amounts of food, especially the first year of life. Let her eat as much as she wants at a feeding. She is clearly hungry! Do purchase canned cat food along with dry food, and chicken flavors are better for cats than fish. You may find that she eats quite a bit of wet food, with dry food in between.

Is your 6-month-old kitten spayed or neutered yet? It’s time now! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She will be 6 at the end of this month. No, I have called at least three vets in my area. They only do the surgery at 8 months old +.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kittens can't really overeat, at 6 weeks old there could be times her body needs hundreds of calories per pound for growth. There is nothing wrong with her eating the dry food so long as it is a kitten or all stages food (which it should be for a 5 to 6 month old). Until they stop growing, kittens should be getting unlimited dry food access with multiple wet food feedings per day.

Six weeks is pretty young to be separated from mom but the hyper makes sense at that age. Kittens are into everything that young, when I got my boy (he was the size of an 8 week old and I was told her was 8 weeks but the vet said 5 weeks). I had to keep toss toys on any flat surface and wand toys tucked into random spot. Whenever he got into a playful mood and started going after things he shouldn't, I would grab the nearest toy and redirect him. Those first .... well year really because he is seriously a handful, I was busy pretty much non stop keeping him from developing inappropriate play habits, redirecting him to appropriate toys and reinforcing that humans have tissue paper delicate skin inappropriate for playing with. At six years old, he still dives headfirst into his toy basket to pull out toys throughout the day and goes to play with a toy before eating.