Kitten Nursing On Genitals Of Litter Mate

Drinkingwithmycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
two females. Two days shy of 6 weeks old. Bottle fed since found at 2 weeks old. One kitten won’t stop nursing on the others genitals and is incessant on it. To sleep, for comfort, etc.

I’m doing my best to keep them separated. Will she grow out of this in a few weeks? I’m at my wits end.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some kittens will stop, others don't for a long time, and some still suckle on anything available for years into adulthood.

I am guessing you were told it was OK to discontinue bottle feeding at their age? I have always been told to go to 8 weeks - typical time line for a mother to nurse her kittens - but maybe it is different for ones who have to be bottle fed.

I suppose you can try to either purchase nursing pillow replacements (one example below). Or, give them some small cloths/towels to suckle on instead, perhaps with some kitten milk replacer on them to start with?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of this and I think it has something to do with being bottle babies. I know it can cause real problems for a male when it is done to them. I have heard of getting the really small newborn or premie onsies and putting it on the kitten that it is being done to to protect them. I am not sure of issues with a female kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drinkingwithmycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes everything I’m reading says it happens with bottle babies. Basically I just don’t know if I should permanently consider giving one up (we thought we might keep both) simply because the female who is being nursed on has swollen genitals now and cries every time the other one is coming after her and it’s just sad. So I guess I was hoping maybe this natural instinct of the “offending” kitten (lol) will stop soon.

I have heard of this and I think it has something to do with being bottle babies. I know it can cause real problems for a male when it is done to them. I have heard of getting the really small newborn or premie onsies and putting it on the kitten that it is being done to to protect them. I am not sure of issues with a female kitten.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then, separate them and find a suckle substitute for the one. After a bit, you might try to put them back together, for small bits of time. If the suckler has been able to transfer her fixation on to something else, she may not bother the other kitten. I have also been told these kittens needs a lot of attention and stimulation with play which helps to reduce their need to suckle.