Kitten needs help! 2 weeks old

Swaybomb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Doesn’t want to suck today. I hand fed last 6 days fine but now? Had diarrhea the last 12 hours or so. What do I do I’m scared he’s gonna crash

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs: Welcome to TCS! Dehydration, low blood sugar and chills are your biggest threats. Rub karo syrup or honey on his gums. Give small amounts of warm unflavored Pedialyte blended 50/50 with filtered or well water. Add a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock to his nest for added warmth. Once these steps are taken, we can help you with investigation.....

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wrapping in a "purrito" next to you (you can put a folded towel between the heated sock and you, so you don't feel overheated) can make your kitten feel more secure and comforted.
What are you feeding?
What is the color of the diarrhea? How do you describe the odor?
Is there any nasal discharge? Watery eyes? Sneezing?
I am hoping that StefanZ StefanZ , di and bob di and bob , Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , and some of the others will be able to join in soon.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Doesn’t want to suck today. I hand fed last 6 days fine but now? Had diarrhea the last 12 hours or so. What do I do I’m scared he’s gonna crash
I agree with the advices given. Droplets of white caro syrup or honey (or even better, if you happen to have real glucose sugar / dextrose).
On the gum inside the lip. It solves itself, but you are welcome to rub it in some.

Warm! Another tip; if you have access to an IR warming lamp; such as they use in lizard terraries or such as rheumatics use... Not too hot; but the sick do tend to be always freezing.

And pedialyte containing both glucose and salts. Having diarrhea he loses lotsa of salts. You must compensate this.

Bough flavorless pedialyte for children is good.

Otherwise you can make your own. Here for diarrhea, say
you take some rice with lotsa of water. put in some salt, so you barely feel any saltness. Common kitchen salt is OK, but if you have, use a minerale salt.
boil this rice thrice the usual time.
Use the water which results.

And voilá: you have an terrific antidiarrhea home made pedialyte: it will contain glucose from the rice, and the salts...

Pray!

Its not sure he will manage; if he is dying for real so he is dying. But if its "just" a crisis, this and your good care, will help him fight it through.

What kmr did you gave so far?
Can you get raw goats milk?