Kitten markings?

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Could I get some insight as to what ‘colour/markings’ these kittens are or will be please? :hearthrob:
mums black and white. No idea who the dad is we lost her for around a week 😩
thank you x
3653B003-E956-43C1-A436-CCC73C7CC1FB.jpeg
C568BE7C-F6E7-439E-9E82-0323354B3440.jpeg
A46A45B0-AE0D-4DCF-9BC6-F4B789A70B39.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They look like little grey and white tabby kittens at present. Is it 2 or 4 kittens? StefanZ StefanZ can offer a bit of genetic explanation when he comes around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There’s 2, the other 2 are full black. She’s had a litter before a few years ago and they were black and white so we were surprised at these. 😅 thank you for your reply. They have homes but I was just curious as I’ve not really seen a silver tabby with so much black / dark in the coat aswell. X

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There’s 2, the other 2 are full black. She’s had a litter before a few years ago and they were black and white so we were surprised at these. 😅 thank you for your reply. They have homes but I was just curious as I’ve not really seen a silver tabby with so much black / dark in the coat aswell. X
So momma is black and white, littermates are full black?

These kittens are tabbies, probably mackerel tabbies...
In not sure they really carry any white... Its typical for tabbies to have whitish around mouth and eyes, its no true white spot gene.

OK, the easy part; daddy (or one of daddies) is the mackerel (black silver?) tabby...

He is heterozygot for tabby, otherwise all would be tabbies.... OR there are 2 fathers...

The problem is, none of the kittens seems to have true white spot. Not the all blackies, and probably not these here tabbies.

If momma is heterozygot on the white spot gene - which she probably is, half of her kittens "should" have white spots, half not.
Now, the statistics arent ironclad...
So its fully possible none will have no white spots.... In next batch perhaps all will have white spot...

Still, its less common. 10% chance?

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

In not sure they really carry any white... Its typical for tabbies to have whitish around mouth and eyes, its no true white spot gene.

OK, the easy part; daddy (or one of daddies) is the mackerel (black silver?) tabby...

He is heterozygot for tabby, otherwise all would be tabbies.... OR there are 2 fathers...

The problem is, none of the kittens seems to have true white spot. Not the all blackies, and probably not these here tabbies.

If momma is heterozygot on the white spot gene - which she probably is, half of her kittens "should" have white spots, half not.
So its fully possible none will have no white spots.... In next batch perhaps all will have white spot...

Sorry I must of missed adding that there was a black and white one born too. There was 5 altogether 😅 if that changes your comment 😆 he is male. The all black and the tabbies there’s a male & female of both x

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok tx. This improves the statistics somewhat, but the answer essentially the same.
These colors arent gender dependent.

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok tx. This improves the statistics somewhat, but the answer essentially the same.
These colors arent gender dependent.
Thank you for the info 😊 are they brown or silver tabby? I think they’re definitely mackerel, I can see it more today ☺ x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont see the colors good enough... Perhaps later on?

For the time being, presume they are regular mackerel brown / black tabbies.