Kitten Lethargic, Crying, Not Moving

KrazyKatLady67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3- 8 week old female kittens. The momma wouldn't take care of them so I received them at 5 wks old. Everything was going good until this morning one of them is just laying around, lethargic, doesn't want to move,cries when she moves, doesn't want to eat, weak, has a hard time walking. I've rescued cats all my life but I'm stumped. If anyone can help me, please do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor baby! Put some honey on her gums to give her a quick boost. Then, get some clear unflavored pedialyte into her drop by drop into the side of the mouth with a dropper or needle less syringe. If you have no pedialyte on hand, give her drops of sugar water with a sprinkle of salt mixed in until you get pedialyte.

It sounds like she may have calici virus and have fever. Get her to the vet right away for fluids, antibiotics, and cortisone. If I am correct, this takes up to a month to go away, but with vet help, she should feel better and begin eating again soon.

Calici virus is contagious and the other kittens may get it too.

Please keep us posted!

K KrazyKatLady67

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lets really hope its this, because otherwise its something worse, and the kitten dying...
Yet, the given advices are the standard to at least have a chance to buy time.

Honey-sweet water on mouth and gums, and pedialyte... Keep warm, massage... Sing sofly and make nice noises. Pray.

If its calici virus, you can also try with giving L-lysine.... It helps somewhat. One of the few working remedies against virus.

But L-lysine shouldnt harm unless givine in ridiculous overdosage, so do try if you can get l-lysine. Its the same as for humans, and you can get in in shops for health minded people, whom sells vitamines and other self health care preparates. Pharmacy may have it too.... Powder is easiest to handle.

K KrazyKatLady67

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It also could be distemper, and if that is the case than the whole litter will contact it. Distemper is easily cure when caught early, so please get that little kitten to a vet immediately.

Last edited: