Kitten Is Not Using Litter Box.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends,

I am taking care of a feral kitten. She is socialized now. She was separated or abandoned by her mother. I found her on a street. I am training her to use the litter box. She uses it in my presence but when I am not around she poops wherever she wants. If rubs her paws on the surface before doing her business. If I catch her rubbing her paws on the floor or ground I say Hay and clap my hand once or twice. She instantly gets the msg and goes to the litter box. I can't hang around with her 24 hours. I have locked her in a bathroom for a couple of days with many litter boxes. It was a small space so she had to use them but once she is out of the bathroom she forgets about them. Animals were not allowed in my house and I took her in. My house members are not happy with this situation. The house is carpeted and she is ruining it.

She is healthy and has no medical issues. I have locked her multiple times in a small space but the moment she sets foot outside, she changes. I have tried different litters but I don't think this is the issue. What happens to cats who don't learn it from their mothers?

I have another feral male kitten outside the house. He is 6 months old. The little kitten plays with him daily. I thought she would learn it from him. She sees him using garden soil every day but she is not getting it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is the kitten? She may be too young yet to totally get the concept of the litter box. But in time, hopefully, she'll become a litter box pro.

When you see her scratch the floor, rather than saying "hey" or clapping your hands, just try picking her up and putting her in the litter box. You don't want her to associate needing to "use the bathroom" with any negativity.

You can also try putting some of the soil on top of the litter in the litter box. That sometimes helps with training former ferals to use the litter box.

Here's a TCS with more info: How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? :angelcat: Can we see a picture?

I would try the above or cat attract litter. You need to clean everything with an enzyme cleaner so she can't smell her pee/poo so she doesn't think she should poo/pee there. Cats can smell as well as dogs.
I would keep her in one room when you are not awake and there to watch her. I would give her 2 open litter boxes in that room with the cat attract litter in it (and some potting soil if need be.) I would also add another litter box without the lid in the living room or room you hang out in. Feed her in her room. After you feed her take her and calmly/gently stick her in the litter box. If she doesn't get the hint make sure the litter is new, then take 2 fingers on each hand and show her how you dig in the litter. :barfgreen: Then stick her in the litter and gently get her front paws to dig a bit. (You can wash your hands LOTS afterwards) I also have heard that feral cats need a fine unscented litter to get the hang of things. So if she is old enough you can try arm and hammer unscented clumping litter or something like that before you try cat attract litter. If she has an accident, grab a baggy and move the poo to her box, then clean up her mess with enzyme cleaner. So she gets that poo goes in the box.
:hangin: