Kitten Is Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron3228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. My kitten who is a couple of months old has been sick for a little over a week. At first, we thought it was a simple upper respiratory infection. We gave him sugar water, honey on gums, and the like. We took him to the vet where they said he was dehydrated and had confirmed it looked like a simple upper respiratory infection. We were given medication (Nutri-Cal and Viralys) and it looked like he was not really responding to it. We took him to the vet after he stopped eating and looked lethargic and he was injected with fluids and looked better. After this, he seemed to be on a downward spiral and continuing to decline. We give him suger water, milk, tried food and all the other tricks to get him to eat, and his medicine but he doesn't look any better. We are taking him to the vet today at 9am (2:03am as I write this) in hopes that they can do something. He has a little fight in him but looks like he is having a little trouble with his legs and is just kind of wanting to lay down. Our other cats were sneezing as well but were better in 2-3 days. Please does anyone have any advice on what to do or what he could have? I really don't want him to die but it does not look good.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there an ER vet in your area? Have you ever done syringe feeding? I would advise going to an ER vet now if you have one available. I am posting a link from the Kitten Lady website with a video about syringe feeding.

The only other thing I can think of to try is steam treatments to see if you can break up the congestion enough to get him to eat. Run the shower in your bathroom and steam up the room. Take him in the steamy room and sit with him for 15-20 minutes. I usually do this 2-3x a day. I am hope this is enough to help you get through the night until you can get to the vet if you can not get to an ER vet now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With sugar water - is it literally common table sugar?
Best is glucose sugar, in practice water with honey.

Use raw honey if you can get.
Raw goats milk.

L- lysine. Massage, keep warm pedialyte to hydrate up.

Pray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ron3228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone and thank you for responding. My parents got up around 6:30am and to their suprise he was walking around. At 8:45am we set the kennel next to him and he jumped right into it. At the vet he tested negative for feline leukemia and FIP. Even though he is showing no symptoms of FIP, the vet doctor is worried that it could be the dry FIP. They injected him with fluids and syringe fed him. He is tired and now sleeping. We were given a syringe and a type of food called a/d to feed him via the syringe. I will update you guys on his condition later.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep stefanz's comments in mind - that is advice coming from a very knowledgeable expert, as are the other comments you've gotten above.
:vibes::redheartpump:

Ron3228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alight everyone. Last night the kitten looked really good. He walked around, walked over to the food dishes but didnt eat, and even used the litter box. This morning (Sunday),we got up for church to find out kitten walking around and moving good. As the day went on though, he seemed to get more sluggish. We fed him with the syringe and gave him Silver. Now at 11:16pm as I am writing this, he is just laying there on a blanket. He still has some strength as I tried to clean his eyes and nose he turned away. Im at a complete loss at what to do or what he has. He seemed like he was doing really good and now really decreasing. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can do or what he could have? I really don't want to lose him. Thank you

Ron3228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also failed to mention that he also urinated on himself eariler. I am assuming either in the night or when we were at the two churches i play the organ for.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Oh gosh, how are things now? Were you able to syringe feed him or something like that?

Ron3228

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Unfortunately, he passed away this morning/afternoon. We checked on him from 6:30 to 7:30am as we were getting ready for work and school. He looked like he was in bad shape. My mom tried to give him some stuff but he just meowed like he was in pain so we just let him be. She left for work at 10:30am but before she left, ahe saw his brother grooming him, something he never does, and she knew it was not going to be long. My sister found him when she came home from school at around 2:40pm. He passed away sometime when we were gone, which I think was the best way. Again, I appreciate all your help everyone these past few days. I wish this was a happier post but he is now out of pain. Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
RIP sweetheart, your pain and struggles are over and your grace and joy have been returned to you in full. :rbheart:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very sorry to hear he did not make it. :(

I hope you all find comfort in knowing he spent his life loved and cared for. :rbheart:

Per TCS policy; I am closing this thread for replies now.

Status
Not open for further replies.