Kitten Infested With Fleas

Mashy02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my husband and I got a kitten for the first time yesterday. When we went to pick her up the lady said they had just given her a bath and had her wrapped up in a towel and since it was cold here and she has long hair we kept her bundled up until we got home and that's when we seen she was infested with fleas. I've never seen fleas as big as the ones she has or so many. She's very shy and hides from us but she never hisses or is aggressive towards us in any way. When I gave her a bath with dawn dish soap she would meow here and there and try to get out every once in a while but nothing extreme. The bath seem to perk her up a little bit and I thought I got quite a bit of fleas off but this morning it's like I didn't even put a dent in the amount. I know a kitten with a lot of fleas can be deadly so I'm needing advice on what to do. She's 10 weeks old and I want these gone as fast as I can get them off so she's not suffering. I've also been brushing her with a flea comb trying to get them off as well. Should I get a flea treatment or flea collar or is she too young? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not use a flea collar. Flea collars can cause chemical burns.

A flea dip is fine. Also ask your vet about revolution or Advantage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mashy02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do not use a flea collar. Flea collars can cause chemical burns.

A flea dip is fine. Also ask your vet about revolution or Advantage.
Okay, thank you. She also has scabs all around her neck and the lady said it was from the momma cat carrying her. Is that common or is something more going on?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Scabs could be from the fleas. They are extremely itchy. Mom cats are very gentle when carrying babies and don't break the skin.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have some head & shoulders? (I have been told regular shampoo will work but I have used head and shoulders with success on kittens I thought were to young to flea dip/shampoo ) You bathe wet the kitten down and starting at the neck lather them up out of the water, then lather them all up ... then comes the hard part, holding a squirming kitten for 5 minutes to let the suds suffocate/kill the fleas. Rinse then dry. * maybe heat the room up first so the kitten won't get cold. ...... if your kitten is old enough a flea dip shampoo once a week if necessary until you can use things like advantage safely. Also be sure to vacuum frequently and wash your cats bedding weekly until you have the fleas under control. Fleas can weaken a kitten to the point of anemia/weakening their immune system.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your best bet is to put a tube of Advantage II on the back of her neck. It is sold at pet stores and works well to kill fleas.

A flea dip might help as well.

I think the scabs are from her scratching the flea bites.

Poor thing must be miserable!

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The scabs could be from mama cat my cat was not gental and did leave marks on baby's neck .. Take a lice or flee comb and warm water and comb them out. Flea dips and not good for baby's at all.. Revolution is the safest cat flea control for kittens . just call vet they will just sell it to you with no appt needed..

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also coconut oil will smother the fleas while you comb them out... Hope this helps

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Also make sure you get a spray for furniture/carpets and treat them as well or the fleas will keep coming back!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, when its time to deworm her, be sure its some all round dewormer as Milbomax or Drontal. Use it at least twice, with 2-3 weeks inbetween.

Most kitten gets round worms from momma, but she will also have tape worms from these fleas. As fleas are in-between host for tapeworms.

Coconut oil which were mentioned, has some soothing properties, so its not any bad idea. Use a coldpressed, organic style brand.