Kitten Hungry all the time, stinky poo

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had Cats and Kittens all my life and been in rescue for at least 30 yrs mainly cats this is my first time running into this situation.

I have a kitten (Peaches) that came from the shelter with hookworms and medication, which she has finished. Peaches is aprox 4 mo old Siamese Mix and came to me eating Science Diet Kitten formula dry and she seam to be hungry all the time (free feeding). I also added Science diet kitten wet once a day, she just seam to be starving all the time this helped with the hungry all the time but nothing else. Peaches has horrible stinky pooh which I was hoping was due to the hookworm /meds, and maybe the new wet food sadly its not.

So, I got her better kitten food, Blue dry kitten formula (been on this about a week) no grain and stopped the wet food but she still has stinky pooh and farts and she continues to seam hungry all the time. I have to clean her bottom as its so soft and runny that it does not come off when she finishes in the litterbox she also makes many trips to the litterbox.

As stated she has finished the Hookworm meds a week ago, she has also been spayed and had all her shots. She has a vet check on the 15th but was wondering if any of you have a suggestion.

Attachments

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could be anything, need to run a fecal test, but it is not uncommon to have to run two, three of them because one will be negative. My rescue we fecal test three times before we adopt out.

It could be parasites of some kind, allergic reaction to food, sensitivity to the food, etc. After the basic deworming stuff, it starts to become a process of elimination.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the soft stools and farting start with the change in dry food? If so, did you change it slowly, meaning did you mix the new food with the old a little bit at a time, or change it all at once. If you didn't introduce it slowly, this could be the cause of the soft stools. Parasites in could also be the cause (hookworms aside). If she is hungry all the time even though she is free fed, she could have tapeworms. Have you seen any evidence of this? In my opinion, cats seem more satiated when fed wet food. You said she seemed a little better with hunger when getting some wet food, so I would probably continue with that. Doesn't Blue also sell kitten wet food? Until she gets a clean bill of health from ALL parasites, you may just need to keep her bowls full (need to do that anyway since she is still young) and keep helping her clean her backside.

You could try adding Digestive Enzymes to her food to help her absorb all of the nutrients in her food. But I would call the Vet first and ask if that is ok in a kitten.