Kitten Having Stroke/seizure?

syrex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my young kitten has recently vomited before trying to walk around and falling all over the place,she isn't responding to anything I say or do either. Her heartbeat has definitely increased and at this point she has gone limp,shes always been a fussy butt so her tail is extremely violent but also occasionally stops. Ive put her on her side so she doesnt choke on anything. Her jaw seems trapped shut too,ive tried opening it due to the small amount of saliva coming out but it immediately snaps shut again. I cant take her to vet because I cant afford it and her mother passed recently so she doesn't have a mother to care for her (although I feel the mother would give up on a sick kitten) her breaths are also sharp and quick. Ive been keeping her warm but I dont know what else to do

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syrex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish that was possible,just went shopping and have 20$ to last the rest of the week for food...shes slowly returning to normal (up and looking around,slower breathing,better heart beat rate,ect) I just gave her a drink using a syringe too

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S syrex

It sounds like your cat has had a seizure.

Can you open a Care Credit account or ask for a payment plan at the vet? She really needs to see a vet asap for appropriate medications.

In the meantime, please syringe 2mLs of unflavored pedialyte into her each hour. Hopefully, she will eat again soon.

What caused her mother to die?

Last edited:

syrex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
her mother died a month ago when she got run over.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to add to the advices above, mix in a little honey with the pedialyte. Such seizures takes lotsa of energy, and glucose sugar in the honey will recompensate part of it.... If she is too weak to drinnk, you can smear a honey solution on her lips and gums.... Glucose sugar goes into blood already from the mouth.

Yes, its a vet errand for an experienced vet. So if she shall have a chance, you must a) find an experienced vet, b) find some way to finance this.
But frankly, young kittens has seldom epilepsy, and not that strong. Im not very optimistic, Im sorry. I hope although my guess is wrong and you shall manage and find a working cure.

syrex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all for the information,it will be extremely useful,after giving her water with a syringe for a bit (thats all thats available to me right now) she recovered fully and im going to see if I can take her to the vet sometime soon. shes currently asleep next to me and ive decided to monitor her closer from now on

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kmr do you use? It could possibly be a bad batch - rare but not unheard of. Especielly Hartz seems to have often problems with quality control - possibly its suppliers.

If you have suspicion it may be a bad batch, try to change the brand. Preferably to goats milk - the suppliers are totally different from suppliers to the kmr makers...

Leha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would amend the comment about honey.. using Karo syrup is better, no chance for possible sickness from the honey. I would also recommend using goat's milk concoction if you have a bad feeling about the kmr.. 10oz of goats milk, 1/2c of whole milk plain yogurt with active parts (goats milk yogurt is best, but normal yogurt is still ok), 1 egg yolk, 1tbs of Karo syrup.