Kitten drooling and lethargic...

Choclover430

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My fiance and I have an 8 week old kitten, and he is acting odd. He had periods of lethargy with drooling, rapid breathing, ataxia, and pupil dilation. He also has moments of normalness; purring, playing, and snuggling. He has had labs drawn and an xray taken, and the vet is stumped. I am very worried, can someone shed some light? Had anyone ever had this happen before? I am perplexed as well, since it seems to come in waves.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Seizures or stroke would explain it. But it could be a combination of multiple things, birth defect or anything else really. Definitely try to get a video the next time it happens; videos can be a great help when you go to the vet. Not only for events that occasionally occur but also for behaviors cats can and will hide at a vet (limping for example). If your vet still doesn't have an idea after seeing a video then seek a second opinion. Your vet might not have as much experience or a specific experience that would help them figure it out but a different vet might.

For now, make sure your kitten is gaining weight by weighing regularly and check for hydration by pinch testing (pinch the skin between shoulder blades, if it takes more then a one count to return to normal your kitten is dehydrated). Young kittens can go downhill very quickly but as long as it is gaining weight and hydrated you should have time to figure things out.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like seizures. Your vet may want to start treating for that, or give some steroids to reduce any inflammation he may have. I take it there is no fever? Even human babies can get seizures from a fever. He may even have received some kind of head injury when he was younger. i pray you find what it is quickly, orv that he out grows it. Please keep us informed......

Ernielou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dealing with a similar issue. My kitten has episodes of drooling, heavy breathing, rapid heart rate, mainly occurs later in the evening. Vet originally attributed it to a upper respiratory infection, but continued to occur after the URI resolved. Then it was found that my kitten was heavily constipated (despite being observed to poop at least once or twice everyday), so the distress from the constipation was thought to be causing it. Constipation currently seems to be under control, but the drooling episodes are still occurring. He has had normal bloodwork and x-rays. He has days where he is playful, energetic, and full of life Have another appointment with a different vet early next week to try to get a new perspective.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dealing with a similar issue.... Have another appointment with a different vet early next week to try to get a new perspective.
Same as recommended to C Choclover430 , see if you can get a video of an incident to share with the vet.

I hope the best to you both of you - and hope to hear vet's assessments for both of your cats as well!!!!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Certain poisonous plants contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals and can cause intense burning of the mouth and drooling when accidentally ingested by cats. Plants such as:

• Calla lily
  • Peace lily
  • Diffenbachia
  • Elephant ear plant
  • Umbrella plant
  • Mother-in-law’s tongue
Do you have plants in your home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Choclover430

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dealing with a similar issue. My kitten has episodes of drooling, heavy breathing, rapid heart rate, mainly occurs later in the evening. Vet originally attributed it to a upper respiratory infection, but continued to occur after the URI resolved. Then it was found that my kitten was heavily constipated (despite being observed to poop at least once or twice everyday), so the distress from the constipation was thought to be causing it. Constipation currently seems to be under control, but the drooling episodes are still occurring. He has had normal bloodwork and x-rays. He has days where he is playful, energetic, and full of life Have another appointment with a different vet early next week to try to get a new perspective.

Choclover430

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww I'm so sorry...has your cat ever received Revolution topical flea medicine? We think his symptoms are to do with that, as he was underweight and under age upon receiving it; reviews for it are horrible, and he has every symptom!
Our kitty also has episodes of it; he also has his good, playful snuggly days. It's cyclical and I can only hope it's the flea medicine wearing off. Best of luck to you and your sweet kitten♥

Choclover430

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No plants in our home at all; he hasn't been in contact with anything that would be poisonous. I think its the flea medicine he was given by the vet.
Certain poisonous plants contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals and can cause intense burning of the mouth and drooling when accidentally ingested by cats. Plants such as:

• Calla lily
  • Peace lily
  • Diffenbachia
  • Elephant ear plant
  • Umbrella plant
  • Mother-in-law’s tongue
Do you have plants in your home?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are warnings on some of the flea treatments that contain ingredients within the isoxazoline class of parasiticides - Revolution Plus (Sarolaner) is one of them. I think you should discuss this with your vet and ask if there is anything that can be given to your cat to help him with the seizures.

You need to also ask if the seizures are expected to go away once the treatment is completely out of his system. And, I believe you should also report this to Zoetis, the manufacturer. Here is the FDA Fact Sheet about this class of drugs.
Neurologic Event Potential and Bravecto, Credelio, Nexgard, Simparica