Kitten Doesn‘t Like To Play With Adult Cat

Kurisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I‘ve been reading up alot recently on this site since I got two cats now (I‘ve always only had one cat in my life before) and there has been so much new experience for me.

My older cat is a Persian-Siamese crossbreed, he‘s 2.5 years old and still very playful. My new kitten is a female scottish fold, she is almost 5 months old now and been with us for 3 weeks. She is very affectionate and likes playing with toys. I introduced them slowly and they‘re ok with each other in general, eat together, nose bump each other. Sometimes they start chasing each other but it never lasts very long. Once it gets physical is where my problem starts. My older cat reaaaally wants to play with her. But she always hisses and growls once they do rough play. I‘ve been watching them and he‘s very patient with her and backs off but I can also see how my cat is getting frustrated over it (sometimes he just cries and cries after in another room because he really wants to play with her).

I usually see this happen the other way around where the kitten is bugging the adult cat, but in my household it‘s the complete opposite. Did anyone ever encounter this problem? I‘d be grateful for any advice on what to do with them.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would make sure that the older cat is getting enough play time with you so that it wears him out and make sure she has some spots where he can’t get to her but other than that I would let the two sort it out. She will get bigger and more of a match for him in a few months and then she will feel differently about playing with him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that susanm9006 susanm9006 has it right! Play with your big boy and keep him worn out until your little girl has had a chance to catch up, size-wise. Once that happens, I think that they will be fine with each other. They get along well now, except for her feeling a bit intimidated by his size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kurisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I guess I‘ll just have to wait for her to grow bigger.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She'll get there! LOL, I think the key word with EVERYTHING having to do with cats is PATIENCE! That is why they were created, to teach us that quality!