Kitten Diarrhea

Deb63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Hope someone can help. I have rescued a litter of kittens from a barn who were in danger of getting killed by the farm dog. We would have liked for them to stay with mom longer but given the dogs history we decided it was best to take them. We couldn't get mom she does not allow anyone to touch her. I have had them for about 1 week they are approx. 61/2 weeks old. They all have bad diarrhea. I called my vet, they told me to deworm them with one drop of Pyrantel which I did. They all vomited a couple of hours later. I had them on a gruel of kmr mixed with royal canin Mother and baby wet food. The vet's office told me to stop the kmr. I did. There was no improvement so they told me to bring one of the kittens in along with a stool sample. The stool sample wasn't very good very liquid and a lot of litter stuck to it. The vet did not see anything in the stool but put them on Albon. They have had two doses, still no improvement. They are otherwise very active and eat very good along with drinking water. Any advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What color is the diarrhea? The albon may take a few days more. If it’s bacterial the antibiotic should help. If it’s coccidia, they may need a different medication. Coccidia usually produces yellow poop. Thank you for saving these kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deb63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely not yellow, I would say close to the color of the food(brownish)and very loose.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds bacterial. Give the albon time to work. If they still have diarrhea in a few days let us know. Let us know either way!

In the meantime, give only chicken wet food; no fish flavors. I hope their poop begins to firm up soon! :)

Deb63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again! I have them on Royal canin Mother and baby wet food. I just read the ingredients and it is mostly chicken but has pork in it as well and fish oil. Should I consider changing foods or do you think that's asking for more trouble?

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finish the course of Albon. If the Albon doesn't do the job then you can try metronidazole or fenbendazole. Albon works for coccidia and metro/fenben works for giardia. Metro and Albon are both also antibiotics. Also, doesn't hurt to try a cat formulated probiotic like forti-flora.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The change in diet may have very likely caused diarrhea. it takes at least a week for the diarrhea to clear up. Absolutely no milk products, that causes diarrhea in a lot of cats. Make sure they are getting lots of of water, even a little unflavored infant Pedialyte, because they are surely dehydrated. Set small bowls of water around to entice them. bless you for saving tehm!

Deb63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! It’s going to be so hard to let them go to new homes when the time comes😪

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are adorable! :redheartpump:

So glad the albon worked. :cheerleader:

It is SO hard to let them go!:catlove: