Kitten diarrhea on anti biotics, probiotics, nothing helping

dashy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have been posting about my new kitten Mia & trying to introduce her to my 5 year old Olly on anther thread - not having much success so far. But we also have another issue for the last 2 weeks Mia has had diarrhea, the vet gave her a test to see if she has parasites and it was negative. He gave her the deworming tablet she was due and also prescribed probiotics for 7 days. Still the diarrhea didn't improve and I took her back and she is now on antibiotics for 7 days and vet has also gave me a dry food for Gastro intestinal - not sure if I can mention the brand? It's been 3 days and still no improvement. In fact she seems to poop more often since the antibiotics....about 5 times a day! I read somewhere that boiled chicken with rice is good for kittens with diarrhea. Can anyone offer some advice on this please? I also read that canned pumpkin is good....we don't have canned pumpkin here (I'm in Cyprus - EU) but plenty of fresh pumpkin, could I cook that and mash it up for her with the chicken? Any advice would be really helpful as I'm really worried about her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dashy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! You can mention the brand :)

So, Mia is about 13 weeks old now? Take a look at this;
Diarrhea — Kitten Lady
Hi yes she is around 3 months old. She's 1.3 kg and my vet said her body mass is perfect too! She seems fine otherwise. Very energetic, playful, drinks lots of water.

The food is Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal dry food.

Thanks for the link, I did ask about the fecal examination but the vet told me to see how she goes with the antibiotics - she's on Metronidazole liquid that I have to use with a syringe and it's clearly very bitter & distressing for her poor mite :( Vet said it's best to administer it directly rather than mixing it with the food. Does this constant diarrhea happen to a lot of kittens? I'm so worried about her, I'm not that experienced with kitties only having Olly previously and he has never suffered with diarrhea, and only had 2 episodes of vomitting in his 5 years. His favourite treat are olives! :D

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When are you giving the antibiotics and probiotics? If you're giving them together with meals, then that won't work. The antibiotics will kill off the probiotics. Give probiotics about 2 hours after or before antibiotics.

There's info on on using S. boulardii for diarrhea: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis

Cooking pumpkin or squash and mashing it up will work if your cat will eat it. Some cats don't like the taste of pumpkin or squash.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible the antibiotic is causing the diarrhea. You can cook and mash up pumpkin (no spices added) and add to her wet food. We feed RC Gastro HE to one of our kitties dry and Science Diet i/d because he gets frequent soft poops and diarrhea if we change him off of it. The thing that's helped up the most has been saccharomyces boullardi. I sprinkle about 1/4 of a capsule onto wet food and mix in. Is the PCR diarrhea test available in your country? That would check for less common parasites.

dashy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When are you giving the antibiotics and probiotics? If you're giving them together with meals, then that won't work. The antibiotics will kill off the probiotics. Give probiotics about 2 hours after or before antibiotics.

There's info on on using S. boulardii for diarrhea: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis

Cooking pumpkin or squash and mashing it up will work if your cat will eat it. Some cats don't like the taste of pumpkin or squash.
Hi she has the antibiotic twice a day 8am and 8pm and the probiotic around midday and again at 11pm. Thanks for the link and info, I'm going to try the mashed pumpkin later today. Thank you :)

dashy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's possible the antibiotic is causing the diarrhea. You can cook and mash up pumpkin (no spices added) and add to her wet food. We feed RC Gastro HE to one of our kitties dry and Science Diet i/d because he gets frequent soft poops and diarrhea if we change him off of it. The thing that's helped up the most has been saccharomyces boullardi. I sprinkle about 1/4 of a capsule onto wet food and mix in. Is the PCR diarrhea test available in your country? That would check for less common parasites.
Hi Yes I did wonder if the antibiotic might be making the diarrhea worse. With the food we can't buy anything like Science diet I/D for instance in pet shops here it has to be prescribed by a vet. So I'll check with him next time I visit. And yes the PCR test is one of the things the vet has said we may have to take if the diarrhea persists after this treatment.

I'm seeing a lot of positive reports for S boullardi. Thank you so much for your info!

dashy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was she checked for Coccidia? That is common among kittens. If the antibiotics and diet don’t get her straightened out, you can ask the vet specifically about Coccidia.
She has had the Giardia Speed test and it came back negative. I'll check with the vet on my next visit, Thank you :)

dashy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just been looking for saccharomyces boullardi and there seems to be different strengths.5 billion, 20 billion etc. What is the recommended strength for kittens please?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use 5 billion strength and give half a capsule twice a day. For a kitten half that dosage. (One quarter capsule twice daily. Try this for 3/4 days then reduce by half again for the same length of time.

dashy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the diarrhea has gone with the s boullardi! Thank you everyone for suggesting this, had never heard of it before.