Kitten - Desperate help (Diarrhea)

HayleyK07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi every one! I’m new here. I got a kitten (10 weeks old now) 2/3 weeks ago. On the second night of him moving in he had diarrhea . The diarrhea is very light brown, and as liquidy as you can get. No smell though! And nothing in it that I can see. Anyways , I took him to the vet. He was diagnosed with Giardiasis (parasite) he then had antibiotics for a week. I went back because he still had the diarrhea, they retested him for the parasite and he came back negative/clear. She told me to feed him this probiotic and monitor the diarrhea for any change. He’s been on the probiotic for about 5 days now but he still has this diarehha. What’s also really strange is that he still does normal poo’s too and he always does everything in the litter box (one in the morning , one in the evening)! Almost every time he does normal poo’s and diarrhea at the same time. It’s so weird. Anyways, other than that, he seems completely normal. Eating lots , drinking tons of water , always wanting to play, very affectionate and sleeping well. He’s also been growing a lot and has definitely put on weight. I’m so lost. Does anyone know what this could be? I’m desperate for answers.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it different since you started on the probiotic or has it always been part "normal" and part diarrhea. If the normal stools are new, then I would give the probiotic a little more time to work. If it's always been this way, then I would call the Vet back and let them know the probiotic isn't working.

L Palka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please don’t let this go on much longer. You’ve done a great job in taking your kitten to the vet. I have 3 years experience in fostering kittens and I know very well that diarrhea can be deadly to them and they can crash very quickly, mainly from dehydration. Diarrhea is normally caused by parasites as the vet indicated. One week of antibiotics doesn’t sound like quite long enough. Just like humans it’s normally 10 days. However I certainly am not a vet. I would suggest you contact your vet ASAP and provide an update. In the meantime I would feed him a bit of plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) several times throughout the day. Pumpkin helps for both diarrhea and constipation plus cats love it. In addition go to the drug store and purchase a bottle (or two) of plain (unflavored) Pedialyte and give to him. You can either mix it with canned cat food or administer with a medicine syringe or dropper. Keep in mind that once opened Pedialyte must be refrigerated and is then only good for 48 hours, that’s why you probably should get 2 of the smallest size. These suggestions are just to keep your kitten from suddenly fading and crashing. Oddly enough poo color can give you clues as well like you mentioned. I don’t have my chart available but just google it for specifics. And keep a log of every detail until you’re able to get in and see your vet. I know you said he’s drinking fine but if liquid is coming out the other end it needs to be replenished. Hug that little boy for me and take care of him until he goes back to the vet. You’re doing great!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont have definite answers, but some overall advices.
As he has some diarrhea (although not overhelming much), be sure to give him some extra salts. Perhaps give him some baby clear pedialyte as part of his drinking water? Or sprinkle a little trifle of minerale kitchen salt on his food.
IF he had much diarrhea, its necessary to give more of this mentioned. Here its enough with just some extra to get his salts again into balance.

Goats milk may be useful, preferably raw goats milk, but the more common processed goats milk is OK too... Its said to calm some intestinal problems.
Cant hurt, may help. Its a good nourishment by itself.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What antibiotic was he given? The meds for intestinal parasites are different from those for intestinal bacterial infections, and different again for worms. If he was treated for giardia, he still may have bacterial infection and need a different drug.

What food is he eating? Sometimes a food change may be necessary.

HayleyK07 HayleyK07