Kitten Constipation

MsChupacabra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

I hope you are having a good morning, evening, or night!

I joined this site a while ago, but I mostly lurk because I never had a reason to post. Recently, my father found a kitten abandoned at his work site. I am well aware that people usually say not to disturb kittens that they may find by themselves because the mother could be back. Usually, the mother will know how to care for her baby best. My father knows this, too. However, the worksite was pretty dangerous for a baby cat, as there was a lot of heavy machinery moving in and out, construction, and other hazards. She could have been injured (or worse!), and it just wasn't a place for animals to be roaming around.

So, a few days ago, my dad brought her home in a box:
IMG_20220827_145357416.jpg
IMG_20220831_105415926.jpg

(Her name is Miztli)

I've been back and forth to the vet this whole week because she is not pooping. The last time she pooped was yesterday but only when the vet gave her an enema. I followed the vet's instructions on the first day I had her about how to try to get her to poop (rubbing a soft tissue against her butt to try and induce defecation), but nothing is working. I'm extremely worried. I bottle feed her this premixed formula:
petag-petlac-kitten-milk-replacement-liquid.jpg

Despite her constipation, she eats really well and has no problems there. She is active, curious, and even attempts to wrestle the bottle out of my hand. I would think that sick kittens would be lethargic, sad, or mopey. She is so energetic, so I don't know how she could be sick. I don't know what is going on.

I have a few questions:
- Is there anything I could feed her to get her to poop more?
- Why would a kitten be constipated?
- Is it the formula that's the problem?
-How long can a kitten go without pooping before it gets dangerous?

Thank you!

The_Baroness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried stimulating the kitten? A soft cloth with Luke warm water (though my own kitten Suva preferred cold water) taken to the kitten's rear end. Some people to a small circular motion, while others do more of a licking motion. How often she will poop depends on her age.

Kitten Lady - Constipation

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look up on the internet, The Kitten Lady, she has videos that explain exactly how to stimulate. I think the kitten may be a little too young to go on its own, though it won't be long! Make sure the washcloth or rag is warm and wet, and rub briskly in a circular motion right under the tail over the anus. Some people have luck even holding under a stream of warm water from the faucet and rubbing. The kitten MUST go. It may be the change of diet doing it. you can try getting some human suppositories from Walmart, etc. and shaving off a sliver and putting that in, that is recommended too if the feces is too hard.
OMG, she is just adorable! She must be lonely and scared. I am so happy you took her in! Bless you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good your father took the kitten home; its the kittens best chance to get socialized and get a good life as a home cat. EVEN if the momma would come back for her.

Now, to the constipation. Aside of the advices you got, there is a whole battery to try out.

Petlac is a good kmr, not know for giving problems, but cats arent automatos and may react in part individually. So sometimes a change of kmr may help.

A good alternative is goats milk. Almost any brand will work, as long its full fat, no funny low fat diet variation. Or if you find a kmr based on goats milk as main ingredints. I know of GNC, but there are other brands too. goats milk gives very seldom problems with constipation-

You can add a several drops of virgin olive oil to her feedings... Its loosening, and virgin olive oil is by itself nourishing. When the production has started, you cut the oil by half; you dont want the poo to be too rare.

You can cut out a slice out of a glycerine cone; such as is used for humans with constipation. So a thin slice; set into the behind, and wait a little. It loosens the hard poo there, almost as an enema.

A good solution is, using warm water. Say, you have the kitten in your left hand, head to you, rear end out; you let warmish water run (cats body temp is slightly higher than human body temp). You set the rear end under the warm water. It feels alike warm massage for the kitten! And with your finger on right hand, you tap on the private parts.... It feels alike mommas tongue licking...
This works usually even in difficult cases.

Train some first with a doll or a dummy.

Make sure the kittens doesnt get chilled out, and you make sure it gets dry and warm afterwards....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsChupacabra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried stimulating the kitten? A soft cloth with Luke warm water (though my own kitten Suva preferred cold water) taken to the kitten's rear end. Some people to a small circular motion, while others do more of a licking motion. How often she will poop depends on her age.

Kitten Lady - Constipation
Thank you for the article. I saw that it recommended other stuff that I haven't tried yet like bicycling her little legs. I have been stimulating the kitten, but I have not tried it with cloth. I have been using damp tissues or toilet paper. She only pees into them, but no poop. I will try swapping it out for a cloth.
Look up on the internet, The Kitten Lady, she has videos that explain exactly how to stimulate. I think the kitten may be a little too young to go on its own, though it won't be long! Make sure the washcloth or rag is warm and wet, and rub briskly in a circular motion right under the tail over the anus. Some people have luck even holding under a stream of warm water from the faucet and rubbing. The kitten MUST go. It may be the change of diet doing it. you can try getting some human suppositories from Walmart, etc. and shaving off a sliver and putting that in, that is recommended too if the feces is too hard.
OMG, she is just adorable! She must be lonely and scared. I am so happy you took her in! Bless you!
Thank you haha. I will try sitting her under the faucet and seeing if she'll go. I have not tried that either.
Good your father took the kitten home; its the kittens best chance to get socialized and get a good life as a home cat. EVEN if the momma would come back for her.

Now, to the constipation. Aside of the advices you got, there is a whole battery to try out.

Petlac is a good kmr, not know for giving problems, but cats arent automatos and may react in part individually. So sometimes a change of kmr may help.

A good alternative is goats milk. Almost any brand will work, as long its full fat, no funny low fat diet variation. Or if you find a kmr based on goats milk as main ingredints. I know of GNC, but there are other brands too. goats milk gives very seldom problems with constipation-

You can add a several drops of virgin olive oil to her feedings... Its loosening, and virgin olive oil is by itself nourishing. When the production has started, you cut the oil by half; you dont want the poo to be too rare.

You can cut out a slice out of a glycerine cone; such as is used for humans with constipation. So a thin slice; set into the behind, and wait a little. It loosens the hard poo there, almost as an enema.

A good solution is, using warm water. Say, you have the kitten in your left hand, head to you, rear end out; you let warmish water run (cats body temp is slightly higher than human body temp). You set the rear end under the warm water. It feels alike warm massage for the kitten! And with your finger on right hand, you tap on the private parts.... It feels alike mommas tongue licking...
This works usually even in difficult cases.

Train some first with a doll or a dummy.

Make sure the kittens doesnt get chilled out, and you make sure it gets dry and warm afterwards....
Thank you for the suggestions. She did poop once when the vet administered an enema and stool softener, so the virgin olive oil tip might work. I will try this out today, along with the warm water idea. Another poster pointed that out as well. These are all very helpful. If nothing comes out of this, I'll just end up taking her to the vet again to see what's up or if they could give her another enema. I appreciate your help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin adding 2-3 drops of olive oil to EACH feeding. It will soften the stool and get things going.

The glycerin suppositories will save you a vet trip. Shave off a tiny kitten sized sliver with a point and insert. It usually brings on a poop in 20 minutes with stimulation.

Also, does she have her baby teeth yet? If so, you can begin offering chicken pate wet food mixed into a mush using the formula. See if she will lick it from your finger. If so, then see if she will lap it from a flat plate. Once she is eating solids you’ll need to show her the litter box.

Sounds like you’re doing a great job with her! She’s adorable! ❤
MsChupacabra MsChupacabra

The_Baroness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can litter train at 4 weeks but be prepared for potty accidents and possibly needing to do some butt baths. Sometimes they get pee on themselves and poop remnants. Butt baths are quicker and often less stressful (at least experience wise for me and Suva). Once kitten is to the point of gruel (I mix kitten formula into wet food along with adding water), definitely start litter box training.

MsChupacabra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can litter train at 4 weeks but be prepared for potty accidents and possibly needing to do some butt baths. Sometimes they get pee on themselves and poop remnants. Butt baths are quicker and often less stressful (at least experience wise for me and Suva). Once kitten is to the point of gruel (I mix kitten formula into wet food along with adding water), definitely start litter box training.
Thank you for the advice. I have been afraid to give her solid food without making progress on getting her to have a bowel movement first. The last thing I want to do is create more blockage. This morning, I tried a damp cloth and nothing happened except more pee. So, I'm going to have to try the bath later on today next and keep using the towel to see if there is change. She does seem to want some solid food. I let her roam for a few minutes out of the day in the open cat room, and she wanders near my second cat's food bowl to try and lick it. So, I'll start mixing some solid food in with her milk soon.

Begin adding 2-3 drops of olive oil to EACH feeding. It will soften the stool and get things going.

The glycerin suppositories will save you a vet trip. Shave off a tiny kitten sized sliver with a point and insert. It usually brings on a poop in 20 minutes with stimulation.

Also, does she have her baby teeth yet? If so, you can begin offering chicken pate wet food mixed into a mush using the formula. See if she will lick it from your finger. If so, then see if she will lap it from a flat plate. Once she is eating solids you’ll need to show her the litter box.

Sounds like you’re doing a great job with her! She’s adorable! ❤
MsChupacabra MsChupacabra
She does have her baby teeth, but I have been waiting on the solid food until she makes progress pooping. I still have other things to try, but I'll pick up the suppositories if the other stuff does not work. Another one of my worries is that I don't want to be too invasive and want to encourage her to go without the laxatives and suppositories. So, I'm trying the towels, oil, butt bath, exercise first.

Thank you for your reply! After being given these possible solutions, I am a little bit less anxious now than when I made the initial post.

The_Baroness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I give Suva is a pate. (Became a cat food health nut with her.) It is mushy to begin with so when you add the kitten formula to it (I don't add all to what I give her at a time and she eats about one big can a day-ish but she is close to 6 weeks now) and the water it gets a little less appealing to look at.

Random tip I learned: use a Rubbermaid container or something like it and prepare the food on the lid. You can prepare some for the mornings the night before and it can sit in the fridge to easily be prepared the next day and is now enough it doesn't obstruct the kitten from reaching out.
This image is before I add water to it.
IMG_20220824_065522162.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pate mixed with formula does not need water added.

My point was giving her the mush to eat will not only fill her up, but will probably get her pooping more often on her own and quicker than waiting for her to poop on formula. It sounds like she’s ready for mush; I’d give it to her.

Also, glycerin is painless and using oil or glycerin does not cause reliance.

MsChupacabra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Final Update:

I wanted to thank you guys for the suggestions. Putting oil in her food and giving her a little bit of solid food seems to have worked. She ended up pooping!

IMG_20220903_103736487[1].jpg

Again, thank you for all your help!