Kitten Care

Laurelgand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!! About three weeks ago, I visited my uncles for a bbq. There he had a 4 week old kitten who had been dumped in a trash can at my aunts work. She brought the kitten home. Now, knowing my family, I insisted and waged war all night about taking her home. At my uncles, she was 100% going to die due to predators and lack of food (they didn't seem to be feeding her). There, she'd be outside and vulnerable.

I took her home, and kept the name my cousin called her, Azura. She's very active, eating, drinking, using the litter box perfectly, and been to a vet with another appointment for her shots. But she is so... Quiet? Never meows or cries or makes noise. Only time she does is when she screams at my tiny dog to groom her (and Princesa does, very lovingly).

My questions, however, are these!! She's about 7 weeks now. Is there anything I can do to teach her about being a cat? If that makes sense? She has no mama or littermates to teach her things. What sort of behavioral issues might she have from being abandoned so young? If any, can I help prevent or lessen them? Thank you so much for your time!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are more vocal, others are quieter, so I don't think her lack of meowing is anything of concern. Sounds like you're doing a great job with her, she already knows how to use the litterbox! Do you have plenty of toys for her to play with? Young kittens will wrestle with their littermates, so what you don't want is for Azura to think that she can play the same way with you (biting, scratching), which is why I strongly suggest that you provide plenty of toys for her destroy, in order to get out any aggression.

You're awesome for taking this kitten in! I'm sure everyone would love to see pictures!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw.. well done your aunt for taking her in xx make sure she gets kitten food as its much higher in nutrients than regular cat food, give her wet AND dry of as good a quality as you can afford - avoid grains and too much organ meat and look on the ingredient list if you can. Make sure she has fresh, filtered if possible, water, if tap water is rubbish cats know and wait for the rubbish to evaporate off before drinking if you can't filter it. Thank you for taking her in. Just give her as much affection as you can and play with her as much as you can and abyeb has great advice, get toys too so she can amuse herself and you play with those with her also. you're awesome, thank you for helping this kitten xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laurelgand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats are more vocal, others are quieter, so I don't think her lack of meowing is anything of concern. Sounds like you're doing a great job with her, she already knows how to use the litterbox! Do you have plenty of toys for her to play with? Young kittens will wrestle with their littermates, so what you don't want is for Azura to think that she can play the same way with you (biting, scratching), which is why I strongly suggest that you provide plenty of toys for her destroy, in order to get out any aggression.

You're awesome for taking this kitten in! I'm sure everyone would love to see pictures!
Thats good! I was worried she was so silent, thank you.

Oh yes!! I have lots of toys for her to play with and am working on making a cat scratching post for her to climb on and rip up, she climbs up anything she can get her claws on haha!

Funny enough, she used the litter perfectly the very same day I put it down, no accidents at all since then. Which makes me think even more a person dumped her when their housecat had babies :c

Here's my sweet Zuzu
20170623_141137.jpg
20170623_142528.jpg
20170623_142324.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laurelgand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just thought I'd provide a little update!! And some pictures. I followed your guys advice and she's begun to bite and scratch less!! Though she prefers my fingers sometimes lol I offer playtime with a toy and she pounces my hand. She's a real sweet thing though <3

20170626_195411.jpg

20170628_115559.jpg

(She loves to cuddle my little maltipoo??)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF you anyways plays with your hands, ie let her bite and scratch, make sure you show when it hurts. This is this way they learn to take it more easy. After awhile she will become a very gentle biter... The difference with love bites will be short. :)

There is a toy called for kickaroo. Quite new on the market I think. Its essentially a prolonged cushion, so its alike a pal to wrestle with and even kick with their backfeet...

Google, many shops carry it.