Kitten - Bloated Belly

Smithgirl9912

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I recently adopted an 8 week old kitten (previously bottle fed and now on dry food mixed with Miralax-water). Prior to receiving her, the previous owner took the kitten to the vet where she was dewormed and given eye drops, as well as sent home with dewormer and a kitten safe laxative and hairball reducer. I’m unsure if she actually had worms or if she was treated as a precaution. She also has issues with her left eye, where it appears cloudy, sometimes her eye will cross inward, and her 3rd eyelid shows. It’s only in her left eye, her vision doesn’t seem to be impacted and if it is, it’s not impacted much as she seems fine looking out of both eyes. Though it’s definitely improved since day one, it’s not fully gone.

When I got her in my care, she had 3 more daily doses of dewormer left, so per instructions I gave her the remainder of her prescription.. which ended on July 22nd.

When I called the vet to get an updated run down of her health history and explain my concerns she said everything checked out with the kitten, advised me worms are normal and to simply treat her with the meds (which I was/did), and bring her back when she’s about 3-4 months old for vaccines and checkup. Also recommended the Miralax water, and wetting her food, which I do both now, and decided to mix part of the Miralax water with her food.

She’s pooping a couple times a day, is playful and very hyper, loves to eat, drink, and nap. She seems like a great kitten, but she’s extremely bloated.

Being she was just treated at the vet and at home for dewormer, and is pooping/peeing often (oh and she also passes gas ), should I be considered about the bloating? Her stool is soft but solid, and she’s used the litter box since day one of being with me, without issue or hesitation. Anything I can do to help her? Do I take her back to the vet? She seems happy and normal, just has a big ole belly.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the size of her belly fluctuates, sometimes is smaller and softer and other times it bigger and more firm. Not sure if that helps any?!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Personally I think she needs canned food as well, more frequent small meals daily and possibly even some Kitten Milk Replacer, unless when you weigh her you're finding that she is gaining weight appropriately.

It's possible that the brand of dry food is making her gassy, which would contribute to the bloated belly/fluctuation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smithgirl9912

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I’m going to give canned food a try, and see if that helps, as it may be the dry food causing it. She eats small amounts about 4 times a day, sometimes 5x if she’s next to her bowl hollering at me that she’s hungry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, try Fancy Feast wet food. Chicken or turkey are better for cats than fish.

Why are you giving miralax? Can she poop without it?

Keep us posted! :)