Kitten Bite worried.

mlgg988555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I live in south Texas. We have been taking care of a stray cat who had some baby kittens 2-3 months ago. We feed them and let them stay in our backyard. The 3 kittens and mom live back there. We have had the mom with us outside for over 6 months (no vet or any shots just outside cat.)
My husband was moving some wood we have on the backyard and the kittens where there and one bit him 2 inches higher from the wrist. He has what appears 4 marks of teeth. The photos (first 2) are of 24 hours after bite his hand never got swollen or puffy and today he looks almost healed (last photo named today). He went inside and washed with 70% alcohol then dish soap then antibacterial soap then hydrogen peroxide. He washed it every hour for 4 hours. His worry is rabies. The bite happened 3 days ago. In the meantime we have outside cameras and we were monitoring the cats which all kittens were jumping and playing drinking water and eating like normal. Well today upon checking of my cameras I saw one kitten get run over he climbed unto the neighbors car flopped out as he was reversing and squished him with back tires. The kicker is that all 3 kittens are same color same size and to us they look identical. We had checked the cdc website and it says that as long as we saw them alive and well for 10 days we should be good. I checked online and the cases on my area which is Cameron County in Texas are very low. Animal control says there hasnt been a case in 15 years. I think he will be fine since the odds of getting rabies seems to be pretty low in Texas USA. We have no bats or racoons to speak off and the 2 kittens remaining (which one could still be the biter look fine). Any advice other than RUN TO THE ER!!! would be appreciated thanks as he is scared.

Attachments

Puppycat73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your husband definitely needs antibiotics though. Cat and kitten bites contain a high amount of bacteria and they will likely become infected. I'd speak to a doctor but it's unlikely that your husband would contract rabies from a kitten that young. Not sure you need to go to the ER but definitely call a doctor.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the fact that they outside strays could have been a problem, but your husband having gotten past the problem time for infection seems to indicate no further problems. Cats, particularly kittens, have sharp teeth that can make puncture wound that then closes, trapping infection beneath the skin. I think that's what most people worry about. The incidence of rabies is quite small.

Too bad about the one that got run over. That's why I keep mine all indoors. Don't want no flat cats.

I always have allowed my cats play as rough as they wanted with me. I usually got lots of bites and scratches, and never had an infection that required a doctor's visit. I once got an infected thumb from a bite trying to hand-feed a cat that I didn't know well, but I took care of it myself without a problem.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been bitten MANY times, usually by kittens, and am still here. The chance of you getting rabies is EXTREMELY low. Just keep an eye on the little family and make sure they don't die. if one was infected the others would likely be too. I never worried as long as I could see them every day, but if they disappear right away that is worrisome! I really think he will be fine.....

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
About a year ago I did end up at a major medical center after being bit by a stray cat....entirely my fault. I called my vet and my GP and both advised antibiotics for the bite wound, having nothing to do with rabies. Both felt that the vector for rabies and stray cats out here was probably quite non existent, but both told me to go to the ER because they would have the HRIG on hand if I needed it whereas an urgent care would not. At the ER, I was reassured that even stray ferals in LA county are not considered a vector for rabies and was given antibiotics and a tetanus shot. All I can add is to call your family physician for one final opinion.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I would bring mom and babies inside, at least for 10 day quarantine monitoring. Watching them outside isn’t the best idea for reasons you’ve already experienced.

I work at a licensed rabies quarantine facility in South Central Texas. We have a lot of rabies here, but Cameron County is quite far south, so I’m not sure about that area.

Even here, the chances of contracting rabies from a kitten us infinitesimally small, but rabies is no joke, and nothing to mess around with. I would follow proper quarantine procedure to be sure.

As others pointed out, infection is the much more likely scenario, especially considering where he was bit. I’ve had a cat bite me twice there and the infections were swift and absolutely brutal.

He is probably fine by now, but antibiotics from your GP would be highly recommended. Could potentially save him a lot of pain and even your wallets if it does end up becoming infected.

Do you have plans to get this family spayed/neutered and vaccinated?Would you like help locating a low cost spay/neuter clinic near you?