Kitten Being Finicky W/ Wet Food

Asphodel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, let me start off by saying that this site has been very helpful considering I am a new kitten mom and had questions regarding everything and anything! LOL

Kallie is currently 4 months old and lately I have noticed that she is not showing much interest in her kitten wet food (performatrin wet food-pet value brand) which is the one she was on when I adopted her at 2 months. I will put the food down she will sniff at it pick at it and leave without showing much interest, sometimes I even see her "covering" up the food with the floor tile. Usually I'll let a few minutes pass by and entice her with dry food (also performatrin kitten formula) close to the food bowl which she will most of the time end up eating most of the wet food or sometimes change the food bowl and she will end up eating it. Is this common behavior for a kitten, should I be switching up her foods? the only flavor this brand has for kittens is chicken and am unsure of switching brands so soon before getting her spayed.

Will appreciate any feedback.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is common for a cat or kitten to get tired of a certain food or flavor and refuse it. I would try a different brand and start out with a small amount. There are usually no stomach upsets but starting slow gives you time to make sure.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, i switch often because my cats definitely get tired of the same thing. I am lucky I have outside cats too who aren't as picky.
I get my Friskies canned at Walmart, you can order online too. it is .48/can so a good price and they love the 'Treasures' kind the best. They are NOT fond of anything with beef, and not as fond of fish kinds. Love all turkey and chicken varieties. It's not the best, but good. I watch my local tractor Supply and buy teh 100% meat varieties when they are on sale.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HK is almost 20, and he's always changed food flavor preferences every couple to a few months. he'll have a flavor - like tender beef feast - that he wolfs down every time we feed it to him, and then suddenly one day won't touch it, not a single bite, and sometimes won't eat it again for over a year.

we always rotate multiple flavors in any given period and even in a single day, but every flavor ultimately ends up on the "i won't eat this" list for a while.

btw, he used to eat other brands, but he settled on fancy feast, and there are lots and lots of flavors and texture options, which makes it easy to give him lots of variety.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with what others have posted. I have 7 different wet foods that I rotate and four different dry foods. I would try to find another brand of food, and what could be even more helpful, is if you find a brand of food that has multiple flavors. Sometimes, switching food flavors within the same brand tends to not cause as much stomach upset, (if your cat is prone to that) as if you were changing to a different brand altogether.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asphodel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the feedback. I will definitely be trying a different brand for her soon. She still has two more cans to finish and today she ate up all the food each time it was put down for her!