Kitten Becomes Affectionate At Night And Won't Let Me Sleep

samperinleni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two kittens two days ago and one of them, Vilkku, is a very skittish kitten. He runs away / jumps if I walk too close to him or offer him my hand. But at night he gets very, very affectionate. When I get into bed, he follows me shortly after. He starts purring loudly and rubbing his face on my head and face. I would love to give him cuddles but not when I'm trying to sleep. He won't stop rubbing his face on me and he won't leave me alone, even if I ignore him. The only time he left me alone was when I lifted the blanket over my head. But I don't really want to do that, you can't breathe under the blanket (even if I just have to do it til he goes away) and I get high anxiety when I can't breathe. But it's been the only working solution so far. I also don't have a bedroom door so I can't even lock the cats out of my room for the night.

What on earth should I do about this?
And also - what might cause this affectionate behavior in an otherwise skittish cat?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two days isn't very long, so little Vilkku is probably still trying to get used to his new home. And he is probably missing his mom, so you are his new "mom".

Is it possible to get a bedroom door? Or is it an open concept area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samperinleni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two days isn't very long, so little Vilkku is probably still trying to get used to his new home. And he is probably missing his mom, so you are his new "mom".

Is it possible to get a bedroom door? Or is it an open concept area?
It's not really possible :( My bed is in the living room area, there is actually no bedroom at all.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat Mama would hold him down and lick his head. Try gentle holding him still and massage the back of his neck.

When your walking around during the day drag a string toy around with you. As rubysmama rubysmama said he is getting accustom to his new home but it sounds like he does want to bond with you. Don't try to seek him out yet play with the other kitten to get him interested or just bounce/drag toys yourself. Once you can get him to play you can tire him out before bed.

Most kittens will sleep after a meal so feed them before bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samperinleni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat Mama would hold him down and lick his head. Try gentle holding him still and massage the back of his neck.

When your walking around during the day drag a string toy around with you. As rubysmama rubysmama said he is getting accustom to his new home but it sounds like he does want to bond with you. Don't try to seek him out yet play with the other kitten to get him interested or just bounce/drag toys yourself. Once you can get him to play you can tire him out before bed.

Most kittens will sleep after a meal so feed them before bed.
Thank you for your response.
I'll try these methods, thank you for the tip! I do feed them right before bed time and it seems to calm them down a bit.