kitten ate plastic!

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
overnight, my kitten ate the plastic off of Royal canin dry food package…seems like it was broken off into little pieces, I would say the total size should be about 2cm x 1cm

Mainly worried because this type of plastic seems a lot harder. I should’ve left dry food out overnight, but she just had diarrhea the previous week and was still on her vet prescribed wet food so I didn’t want to suddenly switch back to dry food due to her sensitive stomach but I also didn’t want to leave wet food sitting there overnight

She seems to be perfectly normal, no lethargy, no vomiting, except her stools seem to be pretty loose and I also saw a bit of watery stool mixed with red blood towards the end of the process. Do I wait it out for a few days and see if this passes through? Or should I take her to the vet as soon as I can?

Below is a picture of her stool

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always suggest contacting your vet for this kind of advice. That is always the safest route. Call and explain and make sure you describe things as you did here. Hard plastic, the size of ingested piece and her stool. It may be that she will pass it no problem but since it is hard plastic and things can get stuck, when cats eat non food items it is better to be cautious. It may be that you can text photos as well so I would go ahead and give a call. Please keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always suggest contacting your vet for this kind of advice. That is always the safest route. Call and explain and make sure you describe things as you did here. Hard plastic, the size of ingested piece and her stool. It may be that she will pass it no problem but since it is hard plastic and things can get stuck, when cats eat non food items it is better to be cautious. It may be that you can text photos as well so I would go ahead and give a call. Please keep us updated.
the vet said that since she's acting normal and everything, it's best to wait it out a few more days and see if there's still blood in her stool or any sudden changes in her behavior. good news is, she just pooped about 2-3 hours ago...normal stool and no blood was spotted :yess:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness. You can always check the poop for the plastic too and you’ll know it’s gone. So glad to hear she is doing well! :yess: