Kitten Ascities

Annyinclouds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, i have a almost 5 months old kitten. I got get when she was 300 grams she was so tiny. She always had a huge belly after eating. 1.5 months ago I noticed her belly was kinda too big for her. At first i thougt it was a kitten thing. It continued growing and she started looking pregnant. Took her to the vet and they found liquid in her stomach. They said it was really serious and she didn’t have much of a chance since ascities in cats are basically always fatal. Took her to another ver the next day. They drained her water and put her on diuretic, calium and some liver pill.and Antibiotics (Ceftriaxons). Ran some tests and we’ll get results in 10 days. She had stop using a litter box at that time. She would go there and try but nothing was happening. We have been giving her the medicine for 3 days and yesterday she started peeing normal and pooping too. Her pee was bright yellow before the appointment but now it look almost mormal. She eats but not enough. Vet said only give her boiled chicken and royal canine hepatic. Although she eats a little i started feeding her with a syringe.i try to give her 20 grams of chicken or 10 -15 grams of royal canine twice a day. Cos she lost a lot of weight. She cleans herself after meals, purrs when i place her on me but mostly stays in her favorite spot all day. Lost all her social interest. She doesn’t seem to have fever. Her paws, nose and ears feel very normal to the touch. I have another cat at home and he’s doing great. Does anyone have a cat who survived ascities? Do you think it’s fip? She means a world to me she’s my baby and i never want to lose her. Am i just torturing her? Or do you think there is a chance for her? She doesn’t appear to be in any pain. Just lethargic. I know cats who are in pain don’t groom or purr. Please share your experience.
P.sThere is a lot of different information on feeding amount. How much dry food and chicken shoul i be giving her at a time?

chunkykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry you are going through this. I have no experience with this but just want to let you know I am hoping for the best possible outcome.

Did either vet say what was causing it? As I understand this is a symptom of another problem.

Regarding the food, since she's got digestive issues I would err on the side of small meals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annyinclouds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet said there could be a lot of things so no way of knowing until we get the results back. Which won’t happen soon.
I don’t know what’s happening right now. I think she was feeling better before we took the water out. But now shes using her litter box, her bowel movement regulated, her pee is no longer bright yellow-it looks completely normal.she wasn’t able to poo at all for probably 4-5 days and she would only pee a drop. Now its fine.But she stays in her spot for hours, only comes out you maybe 3 times a day for like 5 minutes and that’s it.
The only thing that gives me hope is that she’s still eating on her own. A little bit but still.
She won’t eat her royal canine hepatic on her owns so i have to add boiling water to it and syringe feed her. I just made her some and touched it with my lip to see if it was still hot. It tastes really salty. I don’t think that’s good. So i gave her unsalted cottage cheese instead. I’m gonna have to find something that’s for cats with kidney problems i think.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Sometimes finger feeding as well. Maybe something here will help;

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview

Also try making this;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave. Or as you have been, you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese