Kitten And Fip

elisabethc19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten was euthanized due to FIP on Sunday. His appetite gradually decreased and and he developed an upper respiratory infection. Two weeks ago, I took him to the vet and he had a low grade fever and was prescribed Amoxicillin. He did not get any better and the vet prescribed him a different antibiotic which he also did not benefit from. On Saturday night, his breathing was labored and I took him to the emergency vet on Sunday. His x-rays showed that his lungs were filled 75% with fluid and he could barely breathe. The vet said that it was best that his suffering ended. I called the breeder to let her know what happened and she was very surprised. On the contract, it states that "A 1 year genetic replacement policy is also included with the sale of this cat/kitten". Would this situation fall under the policy stated in the contract due to an inefficient immune system? What do you think the breeder should do in this situation?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First off, I am so sorry for your loss :hugs:.

As to your next question, that's a tough one. Have you contacted them yet? Just to tell them he had FIP? What did they say?

I would talk to them first and see what they have to say, then take it from there. Honestly, I don't think it has to do with an inefficient immune system, but also see what your Vet says :dunno:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@KatsPurrrsians , posiepurrs posiepurrs You have far more experience with things of this sort than I do...can either of you give her the information she needs?

I am so very sorry for the loss of your kitten. I know it broke your heart.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since fip is a mutation of the corona virus ( which most cats have been exposed to) I don’t know if the genetic clause applies, BUT a caring breeder will probably work with you. I am sorry for your loss.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately FIP just happens it probably has nothing to do with genetics. But the breeder should work with you. :) So sorry for your loss.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, guys! Since I have no experience with breeders, I wasn't sure what the policies and customs were about things like this!