Kitten Affectionate When In Room, When Let Out Will Not Let Me Near Her

Bigfangs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 foster kittens. I separated the female since she was very shy and would always run when the other 2 boys were playing. I've had her in my office now for about a week. She is very affectionate will even jump on me and sleep. Now when I let her out into the living room and kitchen area, she runs around and won't let me touch her or anything. She lets me play with her and the only way I can catch her (I keep her in the office overnight for safety reasons) is to put some wet food out then grab her. She is also a pro ninja at bolting out the door when I open it now lol.

Is this normal? Or should I just keep trying to keep her locked in the office and not let her explore?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's normal. She's developed a sense of safety and security in the one room that she doesn't have elsewhere. I'd continue letting her out and let her adjust. You don't want a cat who is stuck in one room only.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bigfangs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's normal. She's developed a sense of safety and security in the one room that she doesn't have elsewhere. I'd continue letting her out and let her adjust. You don't want a cat who is stuck in one room only.
Ok I will thanks lol, she is a little devil i tell ya :D

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I introduced my girl slowly to our house and it was easy to tell which rooms she was more comfortable with. It takes time but she will get there. Offer treats and play with her in the other rooms so she starts associating them with good things like her base room.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka is smart and experienced, but I think it may be something else. Possible the kitten is like "FREEEDOM!!! Your not taking me back!" Adjusted, bonded cats will quite frequently run away if they sense you are trying to take them somewhere they don't want to go or do something they don't want to do. And you mentioned that you keep her in the office overnight for safety reasons ... voila, she is going to run from you if she thinks your about to take her back. If you let her out all day and only take her back at night and she always runs from you...then maybe Kieka is correct ... it could even be some of both.

Here is a trick to help. Shake the treat bag, give a treat. Do this several times a day, only one or two treats (don't want to crowd out the good food). Then at night, shake the bag, and throw a treat in the office. Kitten runs in, you close door. You would think that you would still get blamed for this, but I can assure you that you won't. I use this with my adult cats! At this point, I hardly ever give treats randomly, and it still works every time. Sometimes I can't find the treat bag, and I shake a different bag that makes a similar noise, pretend to throw something, and even that works. It is possible to love cats and admit they are not the sharpest of pets :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bigfangs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kieka Kieka is smart and experienced, but I think it may be something else. Possible the kitten is like "FREEEDOM!!! Your not taking me back!" Adjusted, bonded cats will quite frequently run away if they sense you are trying to take them somewhere they don't want to go or do something they don't want to do. And you mentioned that you keep her in the office overnight for safety reasons ... voila, she is going to run from you if she thinks your about to take her back. If you let her out all day and only take her back at night and she always runs from you...then maybe Kieka is correct ... it could even be some of both.

Here is a trick to help. Shake the treat bag, give a treat. Do this several times a day, only one or two treats (don't want to crowd out the good food). Then at night, shake the bag, and throw a treat in the office. Kitten runs in, you close door. You would think that you would still get blamed for this, but I can assure you that you won't. I use this with my adult cats! At this point, I hardly ever give treats randomly, and it still works every time. Sometimes I can't find the treat bag, and I shake a different bag that makes a similar noise, pretend to throw something, and even that works. It is possible to love cats and admit they are not the sharpest of pets :)
That's how it makes me feel shes like " FREEEDOM HOOMAN, U WILL NOT TAKE ME BACK TO THAT ROOM" lol :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It very well could be a mix. My girl who does it was feral so I know hers is more fear of strange spaces then desire to not be locked up. Shoot, if Rocket had her way she'd live in a room with me and we'd never leave, lol.