kitten acts like he is drunk

F2036

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a little kitten that acts like he is drunk. When he was first born and starting to move around his back legs didn't want to work, now at probably 5 weeks his back legs are somewhat working. he does get around but always walks/acts like a drunk, Very little muscle control, but he seems to always get to where he wants to go.
I have been putting a small can of pureed cat food in the blender and stiring it up some more and feeding him 2 times a day. At first it
seemed like he didn't know how to eat, only suck like he was nursing, but now he is starting to chow down on the food I prepare for him. He has very little muscle control of his head. Sometimes i think he is getting better than at times I wonder if he is getting better.
Is there anything else I could/should be doing to help him to get more normal like his litter mates?
Oh, and we call him Waubbley :)
Any ideas or suggestion will be appreciated,
Thanks,Jim

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like Cerebellar hypoplasia (CH).

What is Cerebellar Hypoplasia? The Truth About Kittens with CH - A.R.F.-Animal Rescue Foundation

Cerebellar Hypoplasia in Cats

Starting to eat solid food at 5 weeks isn't unusual and probably has little to do with CH and more to do with your kittens personality. You should be feeding all kittens more then twice a day, kittens should have unlimited food access until they are full grown because they need a lot of calories to grow. The wobbly walking may get better or may not. There isn't anything you can do to make him better because it's brain development issues. The pureed food is probably easier for him because it requires less accuracy to eat since he just needs to get near and lick. Large plates, larger litter boxes and wider bowls of water will all be easier for him to use. He should also be an indoor only cat since he doesn't have the coordination to avoid dangers outside.