Kitten (3months old) limbs

Bromanus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, we’ve had our first kitten a for two weeks now, so we’re new on this forum.
Unfortunately we already had our first accident with her. Last Sunday someone accidentally stood on her left front paw, after which she screamed and fled under the oven, but seemed OK ten minutes later.
In the evening we saw that ourkitten was limping, nog using her paw at all, so we took her to the hospital. They didn’t think it was broken and gave us a pain killer for her.
It didn’t got any better however, so two days later we took her to the vet for an xray, which didn’t show anything. That was a bit of a relief, but now, two days later she still doesn’t use her paw, and sleeps almost all day, not being as playful als before.
mot is really heartbreaking to see her like this, and we really don’t know what to do. So we hope to find some advice on this issue. Or maybe someone could tell us how long we should accept her limbing like this after the accident. Would be appreciated!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd try limiting the space she's in for a while so allow the paw to properly heal.
You can get a small playpen and put everything she needs in it. We did this when we got our kitten for overnight safekeeping. We put n a small litterbox, some toys, a comfy little bed and water/food dishes (make sure they aren't near the litterbox).
It could be she just needs more time for whatever swelling is there to recede.
My other suggestion it to bring her for a 2nd opinion, for peace of mind.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have to agree. Depending on the damage, if any were done, it might not be clear on an xray necessarily. Another vet might have another answer; remember that the xrays from the first vet are your property and can be sent to a new vet. Definitely restrict her movement. I am not completely comfortable that the first response was that they did not think that anything was broken. As for how long should she be allowed to limp while hopefully healing....not very long.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although not exactly the same, one of our cats jumped from the arm of the sofa and landed on a metal floor lamp. She was holding up her paw and since it was nighttime we brought her to the emergency veterinary center. They thoroughly examined her, took an x-ray and if I remember correctly gave her something for pain. As the above members mentioned we closely monitored her and kept her confined in a separate bedroom since she was full-grown. Fortunately she was better in a few days, putting pressure on her paw and acting normal. Before bringing her back to the original vet and paying for another visit why not call, give them an update and ask their advice. Then if you are not satisfied you may want to consider getting a second opinion. Best of luck, I hope she starts to show signs of improvement soon. :crossfingers: