Kitchen Knives

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What knives do you use in your kitchen?

There are (very) expensive knives of famous brands: Wùsthof, Zwilling, Miyabi, Shun, Yoshiro, etc. Or, you can get a cheap knife from the supermarket that does the job, but won’t last as long, and require frequent sharpening.

Then, you can choose between German style: heavy but medium hard, or
Japanese style: thin and very hard, to suit their cuisine.

Like most Europeans, I chose German style, but not the most expensive. Instead, I found the same steel used in the top brands (1.1416) but made in Portugal at less than half the cost.
I am happy, but do have to sharpen them regularly. I use a sharpening rod.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I don't have any fancy expensive knives, unless one of the knives I've received as a gift was expensive, I know I didn't spend a lot of money on any of my knives. But they are good enough quality...I think. I also have some cheap supermarket knives, they still do the trick. I did buy my cleaver at an actual restaurant supply store...but it wasn't the most expensive there. I have one of those sharpening tools, where you slide the knife through, not the rod.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Currently, I am using KitchenAid. I love good German knives, but I will just ruin them in the dishwasher. I also have a really inexpensive set of steak knives (Tramotina, I think, made in Brazil) that are the same used in a popular US steakhouse. They are great.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a mixed set. Most are Richardson Sheffield, a couple are Henckles. The most important things for me is 1) how they feel and fit my hand and 2) how well they stay sharp. The Sheffield knives are my smaller knives, 6 inch and paring, and they get used often and sharpened often. The larger knives are Henckles, used much less often and hardly ever need sharpening.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a set of Oneida knives that are 20 years old now and work just as good as new. I also have a couple Pampered Chef knives that are great. Neither set have ever been sharpened.

I really need to replace my steak knives though. I’m down to 2. Those came in a set with a block from Walmart for a bridal shower present. I suppose getting 20 years out of an inexpensive set isn’t bad either. I’m just not sure what I want to replace them with.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only knives I use are the cheap steak knives I get at the dollar store to slice my tomatoes.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my knives are Zwilling they’re expensive but I love them. I’ve had them 14 years and I only ever replaced the paring knife as I abused it by using it to pry something and the tip broke off. I’ve added specialty Zwilling knives to my set also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A primer on knives

For the benefit of those who visit this thread, I give a few useful facts about knives:

All knives need sharpening at some point, the better ones less frequently.
Serrated edge knives stay sharp longer, but are devils to sharpen.
The harder the knife, the longer it will keep its sharpness, but the harder it will then be to sharpen.
The harder the knife, the more prone it is to chipping or breaking.
German knives are tough, thick, heavy but medium hard.
Japanese knives are thinner, sharper and harder, but more brittle.
Sharpening angle is a trade-off between sharpness and durability of edge. Sharpening rods are better than pull-through slot sharpeners, but require some skill.

If you cut into hard foods, pull the knife back and forth through the food. Do not rock the knife from side to side.
Don’t cut straight down on hard things.
Wash and dry the knife directly after use to promote edge retention and hygiene, and prevent staining.
Dish washers are not advisable for expensive knives.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Putting knives in a container filled with rice keeps them sharp. I do this and never have to sharpen them.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have an assortment. My best knives are my Shuns, but they must be re-sharpened and I need to mail them out; nobody sharpens Shuns around here. I have a ton of Rada knives. They're nice knives, esp for the price AND they're made in the US. I even bought Rada steak knives.

I'd love to have a complete set of Wusthof knives, but can't justify it. I do need a new knife block.

A few years ago, I saw that Dear Richard had put one of my Shuns in the dishwasher. Thankfully, I found it before I ran the dishwasher. Did not go well! What was he thinking?! I don't put any knives in the dishwasher.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of what makes knives feel dull is that the very edge has started to bend. You cant see it but it’s happening. You can run the knife through an inexpensive ceramic sharpener, the kind with chris crossed rods and it will straighten the edge