Kiitens with excessive gas

Pmoten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten who is 6 months old , I adopted her thru the SPCA & she was in a foster care program . I just had her to the vet & she’s being treated for hookworms , 1 egg was seen in her stool sample . The problem she has had since I got her 2 months ago is foul smelling gas , any ideas ? Very concerned - I want to run out of my apartment when she does that ! Lol

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gas is often caused gut flora imbalance from excess carbs especially from grains such as wheat, oats, rice and corn as well as starchy vegetables like potatoes. It is yet another reason that wet food is often better than kibble although gravies often have starchy thickeners such as tapioca or guar gum. Shelter cats often get a wide variety of foods because shelters are really struggling these days to feed, house and care for all the animals -Bravo to you for making that 1 cat less!! :yess:
For now, you can try adding Benebac Plus or Fortiflora probiotics to her diet. You can consult your vet about doing a gut 'reset". My vet has me feed only broth from boiled chicken or hamburger (usually I choose to use beef because some cats have an intolerance to chicken) if there are symptoms of diarrhea or nausea, otherwise I feed boiled meat for a few days and add the Benebac as per the label's instructions. I lightly salt the meat. Sometimes, I find it useful to add S-bouardi probiotics which are hard to find for pets. If the kitty is already undernourished, I buy the expensive (and rather unpalatable) VitaPet vitamins and give those. Your vet will know best how to advise you on your own particular kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pmoten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gas is often caused gut flora imbalance from excess carbs especially from grains such as wheat, oats, rice and corn as well as starchy vegetables like potatoes. It is yet another reason that wet food is often better than kibble although gravies often have starchy thickeners such as tapioca or guar gum. Shelter cats often get a wide variety of foods because shelters are really struggling these days to feed, house and care for all the animals -Bravo to you for making that 1 cat less!! :yess:
For now, you can try adding Benebac Plus or Fortiflora probiotics to her diet. You can consult your vet about doing a gut 'reset". My vet has me feed only broth from boiled chicken or hamburger (usually I choose to use beef because some cats have an intolerance to chicken) if there are symptoms of diarrhea or nausea, otherwise I feed boiled meat for a few days and add the Benebac as per the label's instructions. I lightly salt the meat. Sometimes, I find it useful to add S-bouardi probiotics which are hard to find for pets. If the kitty is already undernourished, I buy the expensive (and rather unpalatable) VitaPet vitamins and give those. Your vet will know best how to advise you on your own particular kitten