Kidney diet

SandyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat won’t eat k/d diet but is very hungry and devoured the cooked chicken…help! I need a formula he will eat and that’s beneficial!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep trying 1 can of different brands. Even Friskies has a kidney formula. You may have better luck online. Even some hard foods are kidney formulated, but you must make sure to set lots of bowls of water around to make him drink. he has to like the food so he eats. Look at what he needs, There may be some regular canned foods that will meet his requirements too. He has to eat to stay healthy, so feed him what he wants right now, until you find the perfect food. There is deli chicken meat available available he may like too, I get chicken fro my cats and freeze it in small amounts.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! There are lots of cats who do not like the kidney diets. The primary goal of these diets is to reduce phosphorus, and that can be accomplished with other foods that are low in phosphorus. Here is a link to a chart of lower phosphorus foods from Tanya's web site - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org).

This web site is all about kidney disease in cats and holds a wealth of valuable information. I suggest you start to read some of it and I think you will find you want to read more! It is extensive and can be intimidating at first because of its depth and detail, but once you get through some of the sections, I think you will find it well worth it. I've read it all and reference it quite a lot.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had three kidney cats and none of them would eat the prescription kidney foods. Our Vet wasn't really concerned when they wouldn't eat it. She said just make sure they eat. I did use that list provided above and tried to find OTC foods with lower phosphorus in them, but that didn't always work as kidney cats often get really picky about their food. STILL our Vet wasn't too concerned. Again she said the most important thing is that they eat.

When you say your cat devoured the cooked chicken, was that just plain chicken, or was it nutritionally complete for a cat? One of my kidney cats did eat a raw diet, but that includes organ meats (specifically liver) and a form of calcium, typically bones. The only concession I made for her was to substitute powdered egg shells for bones to reduce the amount of phos in her homemade food. If you want to cook for your little one, you can buy premixes to add to meat to make them nutritionally complete, and I know some premixes are kidney friendly.