Kicking myself for missing a bargain

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a pawn shop in town that I visit regularly. Like most pawn shops, most of their stuff is worn out and overpriced. However, I HAVE gotten two good bargains there:

1. An Alvarez electric guitar that they clearly could not research well. Not many were made, so they don't show up in a lot of blue books. I got it for $82 and sold it the next day on e-bay for $275 (and that was probably a bargain, too).

2. A Gretsch electric guitar I got for about $275. I still have it, and it's worth about $500, easily.

However, yesterday I noticed a Takamine classical acoustic guitar (nylon strings) with its own built-in pre-amp, an EG128SC. I came home to research it before I bought it. By the time I got back to it this morning, it was gone. They were asking $135 for it, and it was worth over $300. Fooey.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh that sucks!

We were going to get a Gibson Les Paul Junior off Kijiji, the guy had no idea what it was worth and was selling it for $100. We called him and were heading over there, but had to stop at the bank first. He called us while we were at the bank and said that another person had offered him $200 and came and got it. UGH! That guitar was worth about $4000 easily around here.

We picked up our Epi Sheraton II for around $800 with a vintage Traynor (sp?) amp, with all cables, tuner, a couple packs of strings and some pedals. We still have them all, and love them.

Mike picked up a Fender something at a pawn shop for just over $100, it's with closer to $500 because of the pick up that's in it and some other things that go over my head, lol.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes there are bargains at pawn shops, but the big one here in town charges new prices on old, beat up things. The bikes are the worst! They sell old, dirty, rusty bikes for more than they were probably new! I'm guessing the loans are what keeps most of them in business.