Kibble causing gas?

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has vomited since we got her. She’s been to the vet several times and was put on a prescription diet. Recently her gas was so painful she stopped eating altogether. So I started giving her the “regular” cat food, and she was only eating the wet food. She was feeling much better. Then last night she ate some kibble and not long after threw up. Tonight she ate some kibble and is now upset and very gassy again. Has anyone else ever had kibble cause tummy troubles?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, did your vet do any bloodwork to determine if she has another health issue? What type of prescription diet did they put her on? All our cats have had dry kibble at one time or another even if just for a snack and none of them have had tummy upsets but all cats are different. It's possible your cat could have IBD or a food allergy both of which should be addressed by your vet. You mentioned she has vomited ever since you got her, how long is that?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Different cats react differently to food. I picked up a sample of dry food at a cat show one time that a friend said her cats loved. I made the mistake of giving it to my kitties at the hotel after the show. Driving home the next day I stopped at least three times to check and see who had pooped in the carrier. No poop, just horrible stinky gas from one of the cats. (Guess what. I did not purchase any of that particular food.)

Is there any way you can stop her eating the dry food? If she's an only cat you can just not give her any dry food. If you have other cats who eat dry food it gets a little trickier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, did your vet do any bloodwork to determine if she has another health issue? What type of prescription diet did they put her on? All our cats have had dry kibble at one time or another even if just for a snack and none of them have had tummy upsets but all cats are different. It's possible your cat could have IBD or a food allergy both of which should be addressed by your vet. You mentioned she has vomited ever since you got her, how long is that?
My cat was abandoned at another veterinarians office, and he had done bloodwork, so I will ask my vet if she has reviewed that. We have had her for three months. We adopted sisters and from what we can gather they had a terrible start. They were bred by someone with bad practices and have moved around from place to place for months (poor girls are terrified of being abandoned).
It’s Hills Gastrintestinal Biome - she had tummy trouble even before the new food, but it seems to have gotten much worse on the high fiber food.
We have two cats, but the gassy girl doesn’t like the tall cat dish, so I’ve just been putting a tiny bit of kibble in the tall dish for her sister.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Different cats react differently to food. I picked up a sample of dry food at a cat show one time that a friend said her cats loved. I made the mistake of giving it to my kitties at the hotel after the show. Driving home the next day I stopped at least three times to check and see who had pooped in the carrier. No poop, just horrible stinky gas from one of the cats. (Guess what. I did not purchase any of that particular food.)

Is there any way you can stop her eating the dry food? If she's an only cat you can just not give her any dry food. If you have other cats who eat dry food it gets a little trickier.
I’ve been trying to put just small amounts of kibble in a dish she doesn’t like, so her sister can still eat it. One of my concerns is if I’m out for more than a few hours and have to leave kibble. I’m hoping I can find one that agrees with her sensitive little tummy 🥰

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing your abandoned kitty and adopting sister cats. :thanks: Have you been able to introduce wet food and slowly transition her over? That might help improve the gas problem she's having and she might enjoy it since there are so many varieties available.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slow introductions to new food seem to be a good idea. The only time my cats got severe gas (and the stench would peel the wallpaper!) was when I switched dry foods cold turkey. Never had much of a problem switching immediately between food formulas from the same company (I use Purina), but occasionally had to change brands because of availability problems due to COVID. That's when I had trouble.